Chapter 19: The Vermillion Bird

Ruby watched Astral flying around in the air, scanning for any signs of the Vermilion Bird of the South in the Aramore Kingdom. As Astral continued looking, she noticed a bright light coming from the south and flew down toward the others.

"A bright light 345 km away is heading in our direction. It should arrive in about fifty seconds. What is the plan, Terra?"

Terra looked toward the bright light that was getting closer.

"When the Vermilion Bird of the South gets close enough, I want you, Ruby, and Elysia to fly up and bring it to ground level, either by breaking its wings or cutting them off. Then, we all attack the Vermilion Bird and take out its heart. Remember that the Vermilion Bird of the South is weak to ice, earth, and water-based attacks."

Once Terra finished talking, she noticed the Vermilion Bird of the South was overhead and immediately called Astral, Ruby, and Elysia to take action. Astral, Ruby, and Elysia flew toward the Vermilion Bird of the South, cutting it off with an energy blast.

The Vermilion Bird of the South stopped flying and let out a screech. The Vermilion Bird of the South had vermillion-colored feathers covered in a flame, resembled a pheasant mixed with a phoenix and a peacock, and was 11,000 feet tall with a 19,506-foot wingspan.

Astral was the first to attack the Vermillion bird, using her energy blades to try and cut the wings. The Vermillion bird saw her coming and unleashed an attack of flaming aura, knocking Astral back.

Astral recovered from the attack and dodged an oncoming attack from the bird. Ruby and Astral fired a water-based attack that hit the bird, only to find that it was unaffected by the attacks, shocking the three women. Ruby was the first to speak about the predicament.

"What?! Didn't Terra say water attacks would work?"

Astral scanned the Vermillion bird, getting any information from the bird.

"It appears someone used enhancing magic, making it resistant to water-based attacks. Loki must have done this."

Elysia looked at Astral.

"No, he couldn't have. I'm familiar with his magic, and he's incapable of using blessing magic to grant resistance to certain attacks. The only one I know who can do that is..."

"Me."

Astral, Ruby, and Elysia looked up, seeing Michi above them.

"Long time no see."

Astral immediately lunged toward Michi and threw a punch, but Michi blocked it.

"Eager to fight now, are we? I like the enthusiasm."

Michi pushed Astral back and looked at Elysia.

"Loki's very mad that you betrayed him."

"He left me to die! He never cared about you and me!"

Michi scoffed at Elysia's remark.

"You have no clue what you're speaking, but I have no time to argue. I have an important matter to attend to."

Elysia looked at Michi, getting irritated.

"Pretell, what is it?"

Michi smiled and held her hand out.

"Stopping you three."

Michi unleashed a burst of wind that knocked back the three women. Elysia, Ruby, and Astral recovered, but Astral told Elysia to focus on the Vermillion bird and that she and Ruby will take Michi. Elysia nodded and flew past Michi toward the Vermillion bird.