006 - delicate creature

Double Update: Chapter 2 of 2

NAOMI

Harry speeds down the dark road. He dodges the occasional car. In mere minutes, he puts miles between us and the horrible memory of the Planet Fitness. It doesn't matter though. I still hear Grayson's voice, his breath still hits my face. I don't think Harry could ever drive me far enough away.

I curl up in the passenger seat. My knees tuck into my chest, and my arms wrap tight around my legs. I bury my chin into my chest. My braids fall over my face to make a dark, quiet cave. Safe in my own little world, tears stream down my face in thick lines. My mind reels. My body shakes.

"You're gonna be fine." Harry's voice drifts through the silent car. My body sways with a sharp right turn. "You're fine." I cling harder to my shins. "Everything's fine," he mutters to himself.

"Stop talking," I choke out the words. He goes silent and clicks on the radio. As soon as the vibrant voice hits our ears, he clicks it off again.

I can't believe he almost let that happen. He just turned around. He didn't flinch when I cried for help. I shouldn't be so surprised, and I hate that I am. Of course he wasn't going to do anything, why would he? He's a terror. He's dark and disturbed, and when I pointed a gun at his head he didn't even blink. I can't let myself be this stupid again. It almost just ruined me. I have to be stronger.

The car lurches to a stop, and I lift my head. We are neatly parked in a strange lot.

"Where are we." My tone no longer offers the courtesy of a question. My eyes are heavy with old tears. He takes the keys out of the ignition and tosses them onto the dash.

"My place." He plays with the zipper of his jacket.

"Take me home."

"Some people aren't as picky as Grayson." He turns to me.

"I don't care anymore." I try to keep myself steady, but my words crack and display my desperation. I hug my knees tight to my chest. He looks out the windshield at the brick wall. One hand still rests against his steering wheel, the other drapes lazily across the gear shift. He flexes his fingers. His rings glint in the car's interior light. The air gets more stale the longer we sit here.

"There are certain things we do." His voice lowers to a rumble, but it fills the small and otherwise silent car. He sniffs and stares harder at the empty space before him. "When we want someone to do something for us."

"Got there first. I should've known."

"Of course, you know Harry. I know it's an indecent joke."

"Harry, you didn't do your job well enough."

"You should've seen her before."

My stomach rocks, revolted with my realization. I look up at his distant expression. "Were you supposed to rape me?" I whisper. The words tighten into silence. He doesn't respond right away. I don't know if I said it out loud. He stares at the bricks.

"When we do those certain things," he murmurs, "the person does what they're told." He glances at me. "I think you'll do what you're told anyways, so I cut a few corners."

"I just want to go home." I breathe, and I pinch my eyes shut.

"And what? You think you're gonna be left alone there?" He scoffs. In the sleepy dark of my closed eyes I feel him sitting next to me. I feel his head racing. When he finally does speak it's the gentlest I've ever heard his voice. "I'll leave you alone, Naomi, but you can't go home. I'm trying to help you," the end of his sentence grits as he clenches his jaw.