Chapter Twelve

3:20pm
Amesville
Georgina High

"He's going to come after you," Rebecca told me after a few moments of silence as I digested everything she'd told me. Well, at least tried to.

I nodded, trying to keep my demeanour calm though inside I wanted to scream. I was petrified.

"So how do we leave this place?" I asked, "Because something tells me it won't be as easy as jumping onto a plane."

"Well, you're correct about that. Getting onto a plane would be too easy," she told me.

"Then how how do we leave?" I asked.

"Amesville isn't necessarily part of Earth," she started and I looked up to the ceiling, having lost all hope on anything about this place being the least bit normal.

"What? So we're floating in space?" I asked her, waving my hands around dramatically.

"No, maybe let me rephrase that," she shook her head, playing with her fingers, "We're in a different realm. The realm of enchanters was created by one of the first Supreme Enchanters after realising that they weren't safe amongst humans. So to create this place, they used a spell and the only way to leave this place is through a spell," she explained.

"Um...okay, okay. Fighting fire with fire and magic with magic, basically?" I said.

"Yeah, sure, something like that."

"But neither one of us know any spells," I said in despair.

Rebecca snapped her eyes up towards me, "Were you not listening to anything I was saying? I'm an Enchantress."

"Wait, what? How?" I asked in surprise.

"My step-mother's an Enchantress. She brought my father and I here and then turned my father who then turned me," she hurriedly explained.

"Oh wow. Okay. So, you can do all those magic things?" I asked.

"I guess. I'm still learning. I'm one of the weakest enchanters since i was recently charmed, so my magic isn't that strong," she said.

"But the spell that gets us out of here, can you do it?" I asked for clarification, I needed to get out of here

She nodded, showing me the book that she had been hugging to her chest. I took it into my hands and I saw just how old it was from the tattered covers and old brown paper. I opened the bookmarked page and it was just a genealogy of past mayors of Amesville. In confusion, I looked up at Rebecca questioningly.

"You open it from the back. That's how spell books work."

"Oh, thanks."

When I closed the book just to open it again, this time from the back, I reached the bookmarked page and there was a bunch of words I couldn't understand along with instructions and pictures of different ingredients needed for the spell.

"What are grübßons?" I asked her as I read through the ingredients.

Everything else, I knew, but not whatever those grub things were.

"Oh those are just herbs. Don't worry. There's nothing weird needed for this spell," she told me reassuringly.

"Now, I need about three hours to get all the ingredients and twelve more to complete the spell."

"So by tomorrow we'll be good to go?" I questioned, happiness not far beneath the surface.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean you're safe either. Lohan's chosen you and the fact that he let you go means he's going to come back for you."

"So if he comes back, what do I do?" I asked her.

"You play along. You keep him busy because when I start the spell, he's going to be able to feel it, unless he's with you," Rebecca explained, "Just keep him busy and he won't notice."

"But once the spell's done, you need to find a way to get out of there. When the spell is done, everyone under a charm will be lifted from it temporarily and you can get your mum and whoever else wants to go, then we leave and get as far away from Amesville as possible."

"How will I know that you'de done?" I asked.

"You won't. Just know that by one in the morning, I'll most likely be done and by two a.m. you must have everyone you want to come with you at my house. I'll text you the address. That'll our only window of opportunity, Kira, so be ready."

I nodded. If all went well, I'd be out of here by tomorrow morning.

"But what if Lohan doesn't let me go?" I asked, voicing my fears.

"Well, you have to find a way to escape then."

Rebecca sat down next to me and hesitantly placed a hand on my shoulder as she said, "It'll be okay. I'll get you out of here."

I then looked at her, right in the eyes looking for any sign that she was tricking me. However, all that was in them was sincereness.

"Why are you so adamant on helping me?" I then asked her.

"Because, you're the first person I've met here who can resist Lohan. You're the only person here who actually wants a real life and you're worth helping because of that."