Terrorists

Joey showed me to the lunch hall and I wish I could have captured some of the looks we got because they were comical. Joey took me to his friend who was getting food and he introduced us.

"Billy Tepper, meet mystery girl, Eleanor Hudson" Joey really presents this like he's a game show host.

"Elle or Ellie is fine-" I giggle and hold my hand out for a had shake,"Nice to meet you Billy Tepper"

"Pleasure's all mine, angel" he says in a flirty way, I just awkwardly giggle at his confidence.

We all turned to the food in front of us and started picking out what we wanted. I reached out for an apple, Joey reached for the same one and our hands touched; his hands were warm,soft. He didn't pull away and simply smiled down to me. He did smile up until gunshots were heard from the other side of the hall.

We all got a shock but Joey was the fist to drag me and Billy down to cover us. He held me as we basically lay beneath the lunch stand- he covered my ears from the gunshots that were piercing. All I could do was close my eyes and wait until it stopped; I wrapped my hands around one of Joey's arms because I was scared.

I was scared I was going to die. Scared I wouldn't see my dad again. Scared he'd be alone. Scared I'd have died without saying goodbye to anyone.

No words could describe the fear that was pulsing through me. The only thing keeping me from having a full blown panic attack was the boy who took me in his arms, the boy's bracelets I was fiddling with. Maybe I was having a panic attack, maybe I just didn't realise. Was I just over thinking?

The shooting stopped. Dead silence until a man came in shouting to have us line up.

The guy who seemed to be the leader walked over to me, Joey and Billy. Amongst the action somehow Joey's friends had made their way to us. First name he called out from some papers was "Ricardo Montoya".

Ricardo walked out from our group. He spoke to Ricardo and asked him a few questions and asked if he could speak Spanish, he replied simply with a no and then the main man in charge ordered,in Spanish, one of his soldiers to do something. Immediately he confessed he understood and asked to not be shot. The man in charge hit Ricardo's legs so Joey and another persons helped him back in line.

"Hey! Don't do that!" Billy shouts pushing himself forward.

This got Billy in trouble with the man and definitely pinned a flag on his head for someone to look out for. During this moment in the dinner hall I found out something fairly shocking as well, that was that Joey's father was the Albert Trotta..The head of the New York mafia. I didn't know how to react to that because I wanted to stay calm because our situation at the moment but it struck a sense of worry that Joey would be a violent guy due to how his upbringing could've been. Nothing about him seemed violent so I couldn't figure out why I felt the way I did in that moment.

After the lunch hall we all got assigned to rooms, it seemed that we had been put with 2 strangers but the rest of Joey's group.

"Well who's the chick?" Hank asks.

"Elle-" I reply with an awkward smile, I was stuck in a room with 7 teenage boys for god knows how long..

"Calm down Hank, keep that monkey away." Snuffy laughs and in return gets a punch in the shoulder from Hank.

Billy whispers something to the other boys who were in their group telling them something and they all looked over at me and then to Joey who was beside Snuffy with suspicious looks.

"You ok? Do you need something to sleep in? I noticed you don't have a change of clothes," A young blonde boy asks,"I'm Derek by the way, that's ted and this is our room."

"Oh..Uh I guess so, are you sure?" I didn't want to intrude in here I was already stressed and worried as it is now I'm stuck in a school taken over by terrorists.

"Here." He passes shorts, joggers and a pale pink jumper out of his drawers.

" Thank you!" I say gladly, "Can you all turn around or something for me please while I change?"

They all nodded and Joey grabbed a blanket to cover me, holding it up with his arms out. I slip on the joggers and the jumper, patting joeys shoulder to let him know I'm done and I thank him. The group gets talking; all I could think about was the man in the hallway with the gun. I was sat with my back against the door with pro-environment posters on scratching my thumb while everybody else chatted about what was happening.

My thumb started to sting and I realised I had scratched through to raw skin, I let out a little sound that was a result of the pain. Only yogurt heard.

"You okay Elle?" He comes over, " What happened?" He asks pointing at my thumb.

"Well..uh..I..- Do you have a bandaid?" I manage to get out, god, why couldn't I just tell him I was scared shitless.

"I'll check for you." And he does, discreetly so nobody thinks to ask what he's looking for. He comes back with a plaster and hands it to me, "If you ever feel alone in this, I'm here to talk."

Yogurt seemed like a nice kid, I'm glad he's the one who approached me and not Hank or Snuffy- they'd probably make some sort of smart-ass remark.

Time passes and one by one the guys start falling asleep first was Yogurt and Ted, second Snuffy and Ricardo, then hank. Me, Billy and Joey sat in the corner by the door for a while talking and they asked me questions and I asked about them. It was a really nice distraction from the current situation. We were talking for what seemed like hours and eventually Billy up and left to go to sleep.

"Welcome to the rejects" he said walking away to the other side of the room.

Rejects? Why would they call themselves the rejects? They all seemed pretty dandy to me.

"Rejects?" I say questioningly.

"Thats a conversation for tomorrow, we should get some sleep Elle." He sort of shuts off the conversation.

Joey lay down beside me and I lay down too. My heart raced a bit, to tell the truth I hadn't really been this close to a boy sleeping next to them. He stayed away from me a bit to make sure I was comfortable, but in all honesty I shuffles a bit closer..It was cold..

"Goodnight Joey Trotta" I whisper, forgetting about today and hoping when I woke up it was all some sick and twisted nightmare..