Chapter 3: Derby Day, part one...

Victoria tried to keep pace with Maxwell. She couldn't take her eyes off of Liam. "I guess this is it... I am going to talk to a Prince...and say hello to ..his father...a King..."
Maxwell smiled lightly, "Hey..." he faced her as they were still people in front of them, "Look up there...It's Liam, all that other stuff...it's just a title, Victoria."
"Just a title? I mean a table for rowdy men after work is one thing but I ...I don't-"
"Victoria," he said softly, "This is why I sponsored you. He needs one person that will see him for him not for his family, not for his crown...just for him. I really think you can do that. Hell, you already have. So" he said, "I am going to present you to King Constantine first. You'll want to make a good first impression on him, so he'll consider you a worth match. Then you'll get your chance to to talk to Liam."

As they walked toward the raised dais, her feet became more sturdy.
"Your Royal Highness, may I present Lady Victoria McKinnon?"
"Of course...." he said, looking at her. Victoria suddenly threw Olivia's advice out the window and curtsied. Thank God for her Aunt's private schooling for her. She never thought it would come in handy. "Your Highness."
"It's a pleasure to meet the suitor Lord Maxwell's house has chosen. I hope you enjoy your time in Cordonia."
"Thank you."
She shivered as Maxwell escorted her away to stand in another line. "Lord Maxwell, huh?"
"That's my title. You could refer to His Lordship, Master of dance if you want..but only when no one else is around. Until then, it would have to be His Lordship..or you know, just Maxwell."
"I like you better as Maxwell."
"Time to look sharp...time to shine." he moved aside, letting her step up alone.

Whoa, he looked really really good...Grey suited him.....
"Hello. You'll have to forgive me, but I don't think we've met."
"Oh? We've actually met once before."
"Surely, I would have remembered..."
She grinned, "I suppose this mask is doing it's job."
"Can you give me another hint?"
"We met..recently and you were surrounded by your men."
"That's not much of a clue..may I have another?"
"I had to call in a few favors but we managed to do one thing you really wanted that night..."
His eyes widened, a smile flashed on his face. "Victoria? I never thought I would see you again."
"So, this is a good surprise I hope?"
"The best, actually.But how did you get here?"
"Maxwell and his brother are sponsoring me for the season."
"For the season? You're here for the entire season?"
"I am, Liam." she watched the wonder in his eyes and softened a bit more. "Any advice for me?"
"Don't let the other ladies intimidate you. Most of them are actually very nice but they can be..."
"Competitive?" she grinned, at him.
"Exactly but you can't really blame them. That's the whole reason for this after all. The entire series of events is set up not to just me time with my potential matches, but also to give my parents, the council and the people of Cordonia time to get to know the future queen. From now on, everyone will be watching you, Victoria."
"I'll admit, it sounds a little scary but I'd like a chance like all these other ladies, there is more to me than you first think. I know I am suppose to move on for the lady that will be behind me but I need to know, how are you holding up?"
"At a time like this, you're asking about me? That means a lot to me, really. The whole thing is a lot of pressure but I knew what I was getting into. The princes of Cordonia can only have so much say over who they marry and I understand why." Liam watched another lady come up behind her, "Sorry our time is up."
"Of course."
"Perhaps you can save a dance for me and we can talk more then."
"Gladly."

She turned, walked to Maxwell who was grinning like the chesire cat. "Liam looked really happy to see you."
"Yes but it's so different here and he looked like he was under so much pressure even while we talked."
"Remember, my brother and I want you to win this thing. We'll help you."
"Right." she said, thinking of Drake suddenly..thinking of the wrong man definitely at the wrong time...again. She took a deep breath, "So what's next?"
"For now , it'd be a good start to get to know the other courtly ladies."
"oh, that sounds fun..." she said unenthusiastically, "fun."
"They're your competition but you might be able to make some of them your allies. Bertrand and I are going to be helpful but the more people you can get on your side the better."
"I'm on it." she moved was following most of the suitors out on the grounds underneath the sky.