Chapter One: The Offer

Luca groaned as he rolled out of bed tiredly. Once again, he was starting a new day in his damned life. Another life of hell, of his boss screaming at him to get projects done, of his electricity going on and off at random intervals, and of only having enough money to barely get him through. He was used to it, though, as he had been living this way for well over 3 years, not that he liked this lifestyle. At this point, Luca would have done anything to stop the torture.

Slowly, he made his way out of his room, into the main room of his small apartment. Luca turned on the shower, only to wait 5 minutes and realize his water heater was off yet again. Grimacing, he stepped into the ice-cold water and rinsed off to get ready for the day.
Once he was done, he toweled off and pulled on socks, jeans, a white dress shirt, and a tie for work, though he would have much preferred to just wear something actually comfortable for once, not the scratchy material that was all the dress clothing he could afford.
Finally, Luca heated up some toast and made a cup of coffee, which he sipped slowly, enjoying what little of the morning he had left before he had to go to work.

                                                                                              * * *

Luca D'Angelo sat at his desk, staring blankly at his computer screen. The spreadsheet in front of him was a mess of numbers and calculations, but none of it seemed to make sense. He rubbed his tired eyes and took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the long work week already settling onto his shoulders. It was only Monday, but he already felt like he was drowning in work. He had been working late every night for weeks, but it never seemed to be enough. Despite his hard work and dedication, he never seemed to have enough money. He lived paycheck to paycheck, struggling to make ends meet. His bills piled up on the counter, and he didn't know how he was going to pay them all.

As he stared at his computer, a knock on his office door broke his concentration. He looked up to see a man standing in the doorway. The man was tall and muscular, with a stern look on his face. Luca had never seen him before. 

"Mr. D'Angelo?" the man asked. 

"Yes, that's me," Luca replied, feeling uneasy.

"I have a message for you," the man said, his voice low and serious. He handed Luca an envelope, and he could feel his heart racing as he took it from him. He had a strange feeling that this was not going to be good news. 

The man turned and walked away, leaving Luca to wonder who he was and why he had come to his office. He tore open the envelope and found a note inside. It was short and to the point, written in a plain font.

"We want you to join us. We know you're struggling, and we can help. Meet us at the Rosmarino tonight at 8 pm."

There was no signature, no indication of who had sent the note. Luca was intrigued but also cautious. He already suspected who, or rather, what group, the message was from. 

He had heard stories about the Mafia and knew they were not to be trifled with. But he was also desperate. He had bills to pay and wanted to break out of his rut of misfortune. He couldn't keep living like this. He took a deep breath and made a decision. He would go to Rosmarino and see what they had to offer.

As he left his office that evening, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was walking into a trap. The city was dark and rainy, and the neon lights of the shops and bars illuminated the wet pavement. He walked quickly, feeling the rain pelting his face and the wind whipping his hair. He tried to ignore the ominous feeling in his stomach and focused on his goal.

Rosmarino was an old Italian restaurant on the outskirts of the city. It had been there for years, and Luca had never been inside. As he approached, he could see the warm glow of the lights spilling out onto the sidewalk. He could smell the rich aroma of garlic and tomato sauce, and his mouth watered despite himself.

As he walked inside, he was greeted by the sight of a large room filled with people. The room was dimly lit, with red curtains covering the windows and candles flickering on the tables. He could hear the murmur of voices and the clink of glasses as people talked and laughed.

He made his way to a table in the corner, where he could observe the room without being too conspicuous. He ordered a drink and waited, watching as people came and went. He could feel the tension in the air, the unspoken power struggles and alliances that were constantly in flux.

At 8 pm, a man approached his table. He was short and stocky, with a thick accent and a hard face.

"You must be Luca."

Luca looked up at the man and nodded. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest.

"You have a proposition for me?" he asked, trying to sound confident.

The man nodded and took a seat across from Luca. He leaned in close and spoke in a low voice.

"We know you're struggling, Mr. D'Angelo. We know you're living paycheck to paycheck, and we think we can help you."

Luca raised an eyebrow, intrigued despite himself.

"How?" he asked.

The man smiled, revealing a set of white teeth.

"We have a job for you. A job that pays well. A job that could change your life."

Luca felt a surge of hope, followed by a wave of unease. He knew what the man was implying, and he didn't like it.

"I'm not interested in anything illegal," he said firmly.

The man shrugged.

"Suit yourself. But I'm just saying, we could use someone like you. Someone with your skills and your ambition."

Luca felt a flicker of pride at the compliment. He had always prided himself on his work ethic and his dedication to his job. But he knew that this was not the kind of job he wanted.

"I appreciate the offer, but I'm not interested," he said, standing up.

The man looked at him for a long moment, his expression unreadable.

"Your loss," he said finally, standing up as well.

Luca made his way out of the restaurant, feeling a mix of relief and regret. He knew that he had made the right decision, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he had just passed up a golden opportunity. He walked through the rain-soaked streets, his mind racing with possibilities and what-ifs.

As he arrived home, he was greeted by his still-not-functioning electricity and the dreariness of his run-down apartment.

He made a decision then and there. He would work harder, save more, and find a way to provide for himself without compromising his morals. It wouldn't be easy, but he was determined to do it.

As he settled down at his kitchen table to pay his bills and plan for the future, he couldn't help but wonder what might have happened if he had said yes to the man at Rosmarino. But he knew deep down that he had made the right choice. He would find a way to succeed, without the help of the Mafia.