Prologue

When I was young all I cared to know was how the world worked. Oh how I wish to return to my youthful ignorance.

I walk through the crowded streets of New York city, umbrella in one hand as the rain violently falls from the enraged sky. My iPhone in the other hand as my younger sister goes on a rant about my packed work schedule.

"Ava you need to take a break, you've never even taken a day off work! This cant be healthy" she says practically screaming from the other end of the phone

I pick up my pace down the street, my heels screaming against the wet concrete beneath me.

The world is filled with the smell of rain. 

"A.. I don't want you over-working yourself because of-"

"Lily, I'm not over-working myself alright? Look I've got to go I'm already late" I interrupt her, annoyed by the conversation before removing my phone from my ear and hanging up.

I step under the small awning sticking out of the large building, close my umbrella and step inside the building. As my heels touch the carpet, the warmth inside engulfs me within seconds. I step towards the receptionist and show her my card before walking over to the elevator in the corner of the large reception room beside the long, never ending stairs and press the button. I look at my reflection and dust my black dress free off any creases before looking up to check if my long brown hair is still perfectly styled in its beach waves. Thank god the rain didn't get to my hair, the day would probably end in disaster and I probably wouldn't be able to get this new case if it had.

As soon as I step inside the grand elevator I push the number 6 and wait for the door to close as I lean against the side of the elevator. Seconds before the elevator door closed, a hand shoved itself between the door causing it to open again. 

As the door slowly re-opens, a tall, handsome man begins to come into view. His dark green eyes meet my light blue ones and his mouth twitches into a tiny half-smile before going back to where his original pout was. His dark brows sitting perfectly above his beautiful eyes. His black hair is neatly styled, but I can tell the rain has slightly messed it up. He's in a navy suit and black ball shoes. He steps in and in one stride he is stood beside me. He reaches out to push the 'close door' button. He's got a black ring on his finger. As he moves back to his spot he rakes his hand smoothly through his dark hair before taking a sip out of his coffee cup.

*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚

Me and my boss, Lola have been sat at the top of a long meeting table for the past 5 minutes waiting for the other two people to arrive. The room is spacious and empty, only having the large table, a couple of chairs and a boards occupying it. She managed to explain we are meeting up with the best policeman in NYC and his boss to talk about this new crime scene in London. She told me we would be sent over and live in an apartment until they case has been closed and that we would be sent over because no one in London wanted to take up the job (and because we are the only competent people in this career field but that's beside the point).

I get snapped out of my thoughts by a slight knock on the door and a quick 'come in' from Lola. We stand up as we watch the two men walk in the room. The first being a tall, blonde man with softer facial features and the second being-

Him.

My breath catches as I recognise the familiar pout and the dark eyebrows that just seems to bring out his sharp features. 

They walk towards us and shake our hands in greeting before we they sit down opposite us.

"Ava, this is Rob Fletcher, the head chief at the police station and this is Noah Evans, the best policeman in the city" Lola announces