Chapter 1

Monday September 1, 1902

'WHOOO WHOOOOOOOOO'

The ear deafening flute of the Hogwarts Express signaled its final warning just moments before departure. Students were hanging out of the windows of the compartments, mostly the new first years, waving their parents off in excitement, who were trying to keep in their tears as they watched the train slowly take off, creating distance from platform 9¾.

It was exactly eleven a.m. when the once empty train had become crowded and noisy with buzzing students. The prefects were doing their best to keep everyone seated and keep some of the first years from panicking.

"Has anyone seen a niffler!?" A grumpy feminine voice suddenly reached out over the chatter through the corridors, killing all ongoing conversations nearby without mercy, or care for that matter. Pacing through the train was a wavy red haired girl carrying around an annoyed expression on her soft freckled face.

"Gaby calm down, you are scaring the first years, they probably have never heard of a Niffler before, let alone seen one," A laid back low chuckle quickly let out. Following the girl was a taller boy with burnt umber messy-sleek short hair who seemed to be entertained by the girl.

Gaby reached for random doors to open them with a slam, hoping to catch the little creature she is looking for by surprise, but to no such luck so far. She was most definitely not in the mood for a chat.

She swung the doors open, scanned the rooms quickly, and closed the doors with a loud...

'BANG!'

The boy who was following her shaped his mouth to say 'sorry' through the windows of the compartments Gaby had just disturbed in her rampage.

"I don't care, the longer we take to find him, the more rubbish I have to return to the owners, who has the time or energy for that? We aren't supposed to work on our first day Roman, we are supposed to settle in and put our feet up!" She sighed dramatically with a whiney attitude.

The two students dressed in the red color of the Gryffindor house were soon stopped in their tracks. Blocking their way in the corridor stood a tall seventh year boy dressed in yellow, wearing a pin on his chest. "Gaby Hawthorn, Roman Sunhaven, you are disturbing the entire train so I suggest you either speak up on what seems to be the problem, or you sit down and shut it!" The prefect let out with an annoyed sigh.

"My problem is you standing in my way," she bluntly blabbered to the prefect before shoving her body past him, continuing to scan through the windows in order to find the little beast. 

"I apologize on behalf of my friend, she lost something very dear to her. I tried to hush her you know," Roman shrugged with a lazy smile before following the fire. The prefect gave up and simply walked off. A deep sigh left his mouth as he mumbled something about this being his last year to deal with poppycock.

Roman lost sight of Gaby for a second until he found an open door at the end of the corridor that had a loud gasp coming from it. "Lynn! Rose!" Gaby smiled at the two Hufflepuff girls shooting up from their seats to greet her. "Gaby! You scared us!" Lynn chuckled.

"Correction, you scared her, I saw your face through the window," Rose smirked before her eyes wandered over to the taller boy behind Gaby. "Hey Roman!"
"Rose, Lynn, good to see you two, how was your summer?" He smiled.
"Roman, no time, niffler situation, remember?" Gaby lazily whined while she tugged on his arm.

"Niffler? As in... the niffler you mentioned in your previous letter? You already lost him?" Lynn's eyes widened in disbelief. "I-I.. eh.. well..." Gaby awkwardly giggled.