Once upon a kingdom

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, a little mortal girl was born to a king and a queen. Before she was born, the queen had sat in her rose garden, embroidering a little something. She sighed and looked to the flowers and wished her baby would be a girl with eyes, blue as the unbothered summer sky, lips as red as the roses that smelled so lovely, hair as black as the swans in the moat and skin as white as the pebbles that dotted the walkways. Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want.

Not five months after that wish, a healthy babe was born. It was indeed a girl, and she was named Fern. The princess was the seventh in line for the throne of Emerald, as she had six older brothers. Fern had everything she could ever wish for: gold and jewels, friends and pets to play with, brothers and parents that loved her deeply, beauty, grace and patience... But this princess also had something else: a slow-burning fire, deep within her.

Whereas Fern's brothers looked exactly like her father: chestnut-haired, hazel-eyed, tall and strongly build - Fern looked exactly like her mother: hair like finely spun gold and eyes like threatening storm clouds. The King and Queen were sure their daughter would one day attract fine suitors, and if they were witty and smart enough to gain their good favour, they would get to marry their daughter. The King and Queen would become old and grey, and their oldest son would rule Emerald and they would watch their other children conquer the world in one way or another.

Still: unfortunately, we don't always get what we want. Before Fern was three winters old, her mother died and the princess was left with six mourning brothers and a grieve-stricken father. As none of her family found the strength to look after the little princess, it was faithful John who did. He was already sixty summers old when the Queen died, but he played with Fern in the garden and he played with her in the castle and he told her stories before bed-time and he told her stories before breakfast. It was John who taught her the power of words.

When Fern was ten, the King had the mourning banners removed. It had been seven years and enough was enough. Fern's brothers had grown up to become very handsome princes with very handsome allowances. They cared for their sister deeply, they always had. Kayro had taught her to ride a horse, Avery had taught her to swing a sword, and Senna had taught her to dance and cheat at games. Maxen had taught her to climb trees, Zeno had taught her to lay a trap and use a bow, and Lewis had taught her to trick and deceive and the best way to drink ale. But only once, since Fern was only ten.

When Fern was seventeen, the first suitor rode up to the castle of Emerald. Immediately, he was struck with Fern's beauty.

Fern was not struck with his.

The suitor asked for her hand after the first course of dinner, unable to contain his feelings regarding the beauty of the princess, and in answer, Fern drank a whole canter of beer after which she belched loudly. Lewis had given her a high five, while Avery and Zeno had laughed so hard they had to remove themselves from the table. The King had turned red before he looked to Kayro, the oldest.

'No,' was all Kayro said, unfazed by Fern's insolence or the suitor's stammering. The prince cut his meat and put a piece into his mouth, chewed and swallowed before he added: 'Let it be known to all who come after, princess Fern is not for the faint of heart. He must be able to best all of her brothers before he can even get to the part where he can get on one knee and ask my sister to marry him.'

'None will be able to best all of you,' sighed the King.

'Then none shall have her and she will remain her own forever.' All the meantime, the suitor listened to the conversation with flaming red cheeks and left after dessert. Fern wouldn't even remember his name.

After dinner, the princess and her brothers were excused, except for Kayro. The King had asked him to remain to discuss the impossible challenge he had put out into the world.