Chapter XVII

Reunited 

Aleksander got out of the carriage first and I next

Aleksander got out of the carriage first and I next. He held his hand out to help me down. What a gentleman. "David, stay. We don't need you out here." Aleksander commanded the Durast, David Kostyk. Aleksander and I then walked forward to Zoya and Ivan and looked at a wagon that stood parked in a dark corner. I still hate the bitch, Zoya, for trying to touch my man earlier. She should die for that. Now, I know that may be a bit extreme, but I don't really care. "Ivan, tell us." I said and Ivan gave us the latest report. "The wagon matches the one that was reported stolen from the palace." I crossed my arms and sighed. "They may have continued on horseback, faster, harder to track." I shook my head at Zoya's words. "No. Kaz's limp makes it impossible for him to sit on a bumpy horse without being in constant pain. But he is smart." I said as I looked at the wagon. My eyes went wide as I realized something. "It's a trap." And just as I said so, Grisha guards opened the wagon door and it exploded. Aleksander bent down and used his cape as he protected me from anything that might've hit us. 

When it calmed down, we stood back up normally. I took a deep breath and stood in front of everyone. "All right, listen to me, and this is very important. Kaz Brekker is my cousin. He has a cane and a limp. I forbid anyone of you to lay a finger on him, unless I say so. I repeat, do not hurt him. If I find out that you did, I will kill you all. Understood?" I finished and everyone, except Aleksander, nodded and had a fearful look in their eyes. "Split up and find them." I said and they did just that. Aleksander was about to go and find the people as well, but I stopped him. "I want to find Kaz before the others do." He nodded and stood still and watched as I closed my eyes and searched for him telepathically. A few seconds later I opened my eyes and smirked. "Found him." I smirked and Aleksander smiled at me. "Well then, let's go speak to your cousin." 

---

"He's coming down this alley." I said to Aleksander and we stood, looking up where Kaz would come from any second now. Kaz rounded the corner and looked up seeing me and Aleksander take a few steps forward. When Kaz realized that it was me at Aleksander's side, he sucked in a deep breath. "Hello, cousin." I said with a smirk. I'm not going to lie, he looked uneasy. Before this, I begged Aleksander to let me talk with Kaz before doing anything at all. I took a few more steps forward while Aleksander hanged out behind me. "I know you have the Sun Summoner, Kaz." I said and he immediately spoke back. "What are you doing with him, Luci?" He asked as he sounded to be in disbelief. I chuckled and licked my lips. "I love him and he loves me. You know I always was a lovesick fool. And now I have what I craved the most. Now tell us where you hid Alina." I said and motioned for Aleksander to come closer. Kaz started backing away in the same tempo that we were getting closer to him. "Firstly, we didn't take her. She fled on her own." I sighed and rolled my eyes. I was getting tired of this. 

I motioned for Aleksander to do his thing. "Where is she? We won't ask again." He said and walked in front of me. "I don't know. It was pretty clear she wasn't interested in being a captive anymore. She's probably halfway to Novyi Zem by now." Kaz answered, making me sigh again. "Wrong answer, cousin." I really didn't want to hurt him. But if that's what it'll take for us to get answers, I will. Without hesitation. The things love makes you do, huh? I noticed that it was getting darker and darker behind me and I knew Aleksander was summoning the shadows. We walked closer to Kaz and Aleksander spoke. "You should have stayed in Ketterdam, Mr. Brekker." I stood to the side as I watched Aleksander use his powers to perform the cut. But as Aleksander pushed it towards Kaz, my cousin threw a smoke bomb, making me cover my eyes. When the light and smoke was gone, I looked and saw that Kaz was gone. I laughed and shook my head. Aleksander looked at me confused. "He always had a thing for magic, that boy." Aleksander chuckled at my words and we started looking around for him. 

And when we didn't find him anywhere, we returned to the place where the carriage we came in was parked, only to find Ivan and David there with no carriage. "They stole-" Ivan started but Aleksander cut him off. "I know." "It was the thieves." David said as he got up from the ground. I'm guessing he was unconscious if he had been laying on the ground. "I'll find a horse and I can catch up to them." Ivan said, being the good little soldier that he is. "Don't bother with it. Alina's not with my cousin and his friends. She's alone." I said and crossed my arms. Aleksander nodded next to me. "Lucille is right. Our priority now is to locate her as quickly as possible." David then held his hand up, like students do in school when they want to speak. I tried to hide my smile as I was amused by this. "You don't need to put..." Aleksander stopped himself and sighed. "Yes, David?" I chuckled lowly. "Well, Genya gave her a ring. Made of pure iridium, not native to Ravka. So when we get within one mile of her, I can direct us." I smiled proudly and crossed my arms. "Well done. Proving again the many uses of a Durast. Let's go." Aleksander said and walked away. I quickly followed. 

He looked down at me and smiled slightly as he grabbed my hand, holding it tight as we walked and looked around town, asking people about Alina. We needed to find her quickly, before she got too far away from us. Ivan finally found someone who knew a bit more. We started asking him questions. "Yeah, she was Shu. Pulled a trick with phosphorus or something, blinded my mate." The man said, making me scoff and cross my arms. "Any idea where she went?" Aleksander asked lowly, making a shiver go down my spine. "Neighbors said they saw her flee north, into the woods." I took a deep breath as Aleksander and I started walking away. "She's a spy, yeah?" That made us stop and look at the man. "What makes you say that?" Aleksander asked. "First Army came through here too, earlier. Looking for her." "Who... exactly?" Aleksander asked as he walked slowly up to the man again. You could just feel his power from the way he held himself. One of the things I love about him. "Some tracker. A corporal." I looked up at Aleksander and sighed. "No doubt it was Mal." Aleksander chuckled darkly. "No ordinary tracker. No ordinary girl. Orphans of Keramzin. Reunited. Adorable." I chuckled and smirked at Aleksander's words. 

We walked up to Ivan and Zoya. Just the sight of Zoya's face made me want to punch her hard in the face. "Miss Starkov is in the woods. She's going after the Stag." My eyes widened at his words. I haven't thought about that. "Holy shit..." I mumbled. This was getting more and more intense each hour.

A/N: Hey, everyone. God... I am so sorry that I haven't updated in so long. I have been on vacation and amongst that, I haven't had the inspiration to write and I've been writers-blocked for so long. I also lost the energy to write, so I had to take a little break for a while. But, I'm trying to get back into it, but I cannot promise regular updates for y'all. Thank you for being patient with me and thank you for liking my story. And most of all THANK YOU FOR 8.5K READS, OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! Love you all!!! <3