Chapter 23 - A Close Call

Notna Bay, Oshea

It was all hands on deck as they prepared Lady Faith to depart Notna Bay. Working in the dark was tricky, but the crew could do it blindfolded, if needs be. They knew their way around.

Lanterns swung on posts, casting moving orbs of orange light. Between the mass of bodies and the shadows, a dance was struck. All that was missing were instruments. Voices might suffice, but they didn't dare chant a shanty tonight.

Bennett reached for his pocket watch, checked the time, then returned it to the inner pocket of his coat. It wasn't unheard of to set sail in the middle of the night. Merchant ships had tight schedules to keep, after all.

"Faster, you lazy louts!" Jonah called, his voice a subdued growl.

Even Cat was out to help, dressed like one of the crew, holding some of the rigging for one of the men. She wore gloves, as he'd insisted. Her hands were not roughened like theirs. And she needed them to work.

He'd tried to send her below after her return. Gods only knew she'd done plenty for them already. But she'd insisted, and rightfully so. With the information they now carried, and the manner in which she'd left the docks, they were in a hurry to retreat.

Even still, they might be in trouble.

The anchor was pulled next, and with it, the sails furled, catching the wind. The Lady Faith began to move, cutting through the water as wind whipped across the deck. His gaze darted towards the collection of navy vessels in formation. They sat waiting, but soon, far too soon, they'd also depart. He only hoped there'd be enough time to warn the king.

"Think we'll get out okay?" Jonah asked, coming up beside him on the poop. They watched the crew work, side by side, legs braced wide for balance.

"Pray to the gods we do," he growled, his eyes flicking towards Cat. She'd shed her gown, dropped it overboard right after her return. He didn't blame her.

"Takes a lot to rile that one."

"Aye," he agreed.

"And you believe the numbers?"

"Not got much choice," he mused. "Look at the galleons there. Each one'll carry near a thousand. I can't even count 'em all. Must be near a hundred."

"A hundred thousand men..." Jonah mused.

"I'm more worried about the bats." A shudder worked through him. "Hard to say how many of those ships cary 'em."

"But the king has the Drengr."

"And thank the gods for that. Even still. A surprise attack like this?"

"How many Drengr you suppose are in Fort Kastali?"

"Damned if I know," Bennett barked, running a hand over his ropes of hair, eyes darting back to Cat. She stood observing the others, now that the work had slowed. Her eyes swiveled in his direction. He didn't turn away from that gaze, instead, gave a brief nod. She was the one to turn, to head towards the deck below.

The Lady Faith picked up speed, passing by the mass of navy ships. In the distance a horn blew, the sound sent chills over his skin. He and Jonah looked at each other, their eyes meeting and holding. Somehow, they both knew what the sound meant, without really knowing. Still, they continued on.

The mouth of the bay crept closer. He shut his eyes, taking a deep breath behind the darkness of his lids. They just needed to make it to open ocean. Then, they were free.

Cat had returned less than two hours ago, her breaths labored, eyes wide. She'd returned with the rest of the crew he'd sent. They'd all looked just as fearful.