xvi. the pardon

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Finan and Osferth walk to Thyra and Beocca's home, Luna holds Finan's arm as they walk and soon enough they hear people screaming and the smell of something burning, upon seeing the house on fire Finan places his hands on his head in panic. Sihtric and some men were trying to put out the fire, and one of Uhtred's nameless men handed her the twins so he could help her husband.

"Oh, bejesus." He mumbled horrified.

"Oh, dear lord." Osferth muttered.

"Oh, no." She mumbled as she swayed the sleeping babies.

"Fetch Father Beocca! Fetch him now! Go!" Finan orders as he sees Sihtric and the men toss buckets of water onto the flames.

"Sihtric! Thyra, is she inside?" Finan asked frantically.

"I thought she was at the palace?" Sihtric asked in confusion.

"No, no, she left. She walked out!" Finan began to panic when he realized Thyra was possibly in there. Luna's heart stopped at the thought, Uhtred couldn't lose anyone else.

"Get the door! Get the door!" Sihtric ordered and then got shoved back when the house began to collapse, and people screamed around them. Beocca raced past them to the house.

"No! No, this is not happening! Thyra! I'm here. I am here!" He shouts and fights against Sihtric and Finan's hold when they grab him. He falls to the ground in grief when the house burns up. He screams and cries as Sihtric and Finan hug him on the ground. Luna cries softly as she hides her face in her hair, Beocca continues to scream through the night.

Later when the house is nothing but ash, Hild joins them. Finan and Sihtric lean against the beam behind the two as they stand quietly. Sihtric had grabbed his daughter as he felt guilty for not saving Thyra, she placed her free hand on his arm knowing his mindset.

"Father, she is with God now. You know that and he will welcome her, I'm sure." Hild said as she sat next to him. Luna glanced at Finan in concern, the Irishman turned to her with visible guilt. She wished she could comfort them better but too much was happening to find a moment of peace.

"It's how her family died, in a fire. You think that would be a comfort or would it terrify her further?" He asked as he shuffled.

"Father, all we know is that she's at peace now. She's at peace." Hild said with a sad look.

"You need to walk away now, Father. A drink of ale, maybe? Once the heat is gone, I shall recover her and wrap her for you to bury." Finan claims as he kneels next to the man and places a hand on his shoulder.

"I...no...I will find her. She is my wife." Becca said stuttering out a response.

"She is. We'll help you then." Finan stated as he looked at Sihtric.