xvii. the blood of thyra

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

At the camp, the warriors sit around the campfire as Osferth serves them some stew. Luna was cuddled up into Finan's side as he held her close, Torunn was in Uhtred arms as he caressed her face gently. Tormund was making quiet noises as Sihtric tapped his nose lightly with a grin. Edward watched the group in slight confusion, he still didn't understand how it worked.

"I have noticed Aethelwold is not with us." Sihtric says bluntly as he leans down to kiss their son's forehead.

"I wondered why the stench is gone. No doubt he's making his way to the Danes." Beocca said as he took the stew from Osferth.

"Good riddance, kill the rat and be done with it." Luna said with a smirk and Beocca looked at her disapprovingly.

"He may know of Bedanford. He will tell them." Osferth we asked with worry.

"Which is why we're headed towards the woods. Beyond Bedanford." Finan speaks up

"We are?"

"We assemble at Bedanford as requested in the letter but then we march on to attack the Danes in the woodlands. A small advantage for our smaller numbers," Uhtred says and then turns to Osferth. "You have the blood kept safe?"

"I do, lord. Always. And it is blessed."

"Thyra's blood." Beocca says.

"Yes."

"And it will save Ragnar's soul?" He asked the Dane.

"It will take him from Nifelheim to Valhalla, yes. From hell into heaven. I must kill the man who killed Ragnar, with a blade marked with Ragnar's blood." Uhtred explained and looked up at Luna with a smile.

"Thyra's blood."

"It is the same." Uhtred said dismissing it.

"Who is this man you will kill?" Beocca asked with curiosity.

"I do not know."

Sihtric, Finan, and a few others drag the Dane spies to the hill, Uhtred wanted them to hang from the trees in a warning. Finan ordered them to shoot the next batch as Sihtric and a man dragged another body.

"There is nothing more useless than a dead spy." Finan mumbled. Sihtric stands alert as he unsheathed his sword.

"Finan." Finan turns to see a lonesome rider watching them. They bring him back to camp to speak with Uhtred.

"Jackdaw."

"He says he has a message, lord." Finan informs the man, Luna watched the Dane closely as she stood between her husbands and the baby monk.

"I do, lord. It's from Brida." Uhtred tensed at the name and grew serious.

"Say it."

"Am I to be spared?"

"Yes, you will be spared, but you will not be returning to the Danes. Say your message."

"She says, 'Aethelwold,' lord. She says, 'Do not fail.'" Uhtred becomes visibly angry at the message.

"How long before they come?"

"They are near. You are facing death, for certain." Jackdaw says confidently.

"You are wrong, Jackdaw. I will not die." Uhtred says confidently as they lead him away. "Osferth, the blood."

"Today, I ask you not to fight for Alfred. I ask you not to fight for Edward, not the crown. But to fight for yourselves, and your forefathers. They are buried in the soil of Wessex and Mercia, and they have become the soil. They are the land. And even as I speak, it is for them we are fighting." Edward screams as they gather to hear his speech, and the men around them shout. Luna stays back while they march for battle, after all, someone had to care for the twins.

Finan and Sihtric stand next to one another with grins as they ready themselves. They would win and survive this, for Luna and the twins. On the order, they charge into the unaware Danes with shouts and cries of war.

"Uhtred, there's too many of the bastards!" Finan shouts as they slash down any Dane they come across.

"Keep your ground!"

"Where are the Mercians?" Sihtric shouts as he and Finan grunt.

"Uhtred, the line is breaking!"

"Push back! Where is Sigebriht?" Uhtred says in anger.

"Lord! Horses!" They turn to see Aethelflæd and her men charge.

"It is Aethelflaed! It is Mercia!" Uhtred says happily before meeting Aethelwold's eyes and then turning to Brida when he runs. The battle ends soon enough with Cnut and Hæsten fleeing and Uhtred killing Aethelwold.

Things were going as planned. They had been forgiven by Edward, Uhtred was free, and Luna had her twins and both were healthy little things.