2

We began walking try to find somewhere, anywhere with people, or food. Everything was bleak, the skies were gray, and the grass was a ugly green. Not the pretty kind the kind, the dark and gross kind.

Dylan looked over at me with guilt in his eyes, he continued to look at me in shifts. With every five steps looking back. I shifted.

"What?" I said my voice hoarse, and tired. Dylan turned to me his eyes wide, he didn't expect me to talk. Dylan shook his head quick.

"N-nothing, I just.  I just wanted to know if you were okay." He asked sounding cautious. I felt bad that I was giving Dylan a little bit of a hard time. But I was upset, and blaming myself. Blake is most likely dead. Because of me, if I didn't make him go to work.

My train of thought was interrupted as we heard a low hum of an engine. Dylan scattered to the side.

"Get over here!" Dylan whispered loudly. Confused I walked over to the bust Dylan was crouched at, and sat myself. As the car passed it was an SUV. A ford expedition. When the car passed and it was safe to leave the bush, Dylan stood up knocked some dust off his pants, as he exhaled. I cocked my head in confusion.

"Why did we have to hide? It's people they could've helped." I asked mad that he could be so careless of weather we get help or not. Dylan looked ti the sky in frustration.

"Or, it could've been military men coming to kill us." He reasoned, i furrowed my brows.

"Why would they want to kill us?" I asked uneasy. Dylan shifted uncomfortably.

"Maybe not you, but they definitely want something to do with me." Dylan said not looking at my eyes, but instead meeting the ground. I was confused.

"Why?" I asked. Dylan looked at me, he looked like he was thinking.

"Uh, we gotta go now, it's getting dark." Dylan said avoiding the question.

"Dylan, why are you avoiding the question.?" I asked with my eyebrows knit together. He sighed.

"When things got bad over there, I left. I just left. I was first lieutenant, I wasn't supposed to leave. But I did, I was scared and an idiot. That's all you need to know." Dylan said defensively.

"Great, so basically they're out looking for you. So we have a target on our back." I said my hands in the air falling down to my waist. Dylan looked guilty. But he didn't say anything, he just kept walking.

We wandered around the highways, looking for any signs of healthy people. I stumbled my legs becoming numb, we had been walking for five hours. That was enough working out for a lifetime.

"How much longer are we gonna keep walking?" I complained stumbling much resembling a toddler saying "are we there yet?" He snapped turning around pointing a finger out.

"Look I am trying to get us somewhere safe, we'll walk for days if we have to and your gonna stop complaining, I'm sorry about Blake, but you have to let that go now." He said, his words struck me like a knife. I scoffed.

"I didn't ask you to take me here! The least you can do is tell me where we're going!" I said anger flushing over me, I almost yelled which was dumb but I was angry and hurt.

"I don't know!" Dylan shouted shamefully.

"I really don't know, but we have to get somewhere." Dylan said looking forward his voice cracking ever so slightly. A wave of shame washed over me. I was thinking of myself, and not how this all affected Dylan.

"Dylan, I'm-" I said as he cut me off.

"It's fine." Dylan said quickly.

__

The light in the sky was dimming. The sun was setting and we needed to find somewhere, anywhere.

Dylan kept walking quite. He was too quite. I felt bad but we needed to communicate or this wasn't gonna work.

I saw a house in the distance, more like a shed really. It looked old but abandoned so that was good.

"Dylan." I tapped him hard on the shoulder, more like a push. He looked at me frantically, scanning the road around us. I smiled for the first time in I don't know how long.

"A shed! There's a shed!" I laughed hysterically. Dylan lips turned up threatening to smile.

"Right, let's head toward it." Dylan said shooting me a soft smile.

The house was definitely old, it had cracks in the foundation stone, and glass in the door had been busted out, the other windows were boarded shut. A tree vine lined the walls, as Dylan walked forward holding his hand to his side, ready to grab his gun.

The door creaked open, as Dylan quickly pulled out his pistol, holding it upward, to his chest, checking the quarters.

"Is it clear?" I asked uneasy.

"Yeah I think so?" Dylan said uneasy as well.

"You think?" I whispered loudly.

__

The night fall was
Peaceful, quiet, but so eerie. The thought that there are people dying was just to much. I know people were dying way before, but not from bites that turn them into blood lusting beasts.

I shifted uncomfortably.

"Are you okay?" Dylan asked, sounding wide awake.

"Are you? It's late why aren't you asleep?" I asked quietly. Dylan turned over, facing me.

"No, can't." Dylan said his brown eyes looking into my blue. My breath hitched as I looked away from him.

"Yeah. Me neither." I said. Dylan shifted awkwardly.

"I'm sorry, about what I said earlier. About Blake." He said, my eyes turned down as I winced at his name.

"No, it's okay, I get it. You were scared." I said looking back into his eyes. His eyes scanned my face,
As if he was searching for something, his eyes again met mine. He looked at me for some time, and somehow he got closer to me. His face was just inches away from mine. I turned my head.

"I think I'm gonna try and sleep." I said nervousness coating my voice in many layers. Dylan shifted away from me.

"Yeah, yeah me to." He said

===================================
1047 words
Xoxo, alliestories_