20. Big secrets

Veronica's Point of View

  It has been almost a week since Patrizio sent me to stay in his luxurious house in Manhattan. There are more bedrooms than I can count, yet Bella and I sleep in only one room. It gets lonely at times, but I have befriended the housekeeper, and I go out sometimes, or at least whenever the bodyguards think it is appropriate. I wouldn't complain about all this, but it felt like a fancy prison. Patrizio had already made plans for Bella's school before we got here. But me? His men have refused me from looking for work... saying it goes against 'the boss's orders.'

Just as I started drifting off to sleep with Bella in my arms, my phone vibrated. I gently moved Bella's hand so she wouldn't wake up, then I grabbed the device from the nightstand. An unknown number flashed on the screen, I wondered would it could be at this hour.

I left the bedroom and walked out to the hallway. I picked up the call and put the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Mia Vera". Patrizio's husky voice came from the other end of the line.

I am certain that my heart rate increased by a few beats per minute. My body reacted to the sound of his voice... "Patrizio? Took you long enough. How could you not have called me all these while?"

"I'm sorry baby, I'm in Italy right now"

"Oh?" That explains the number. "What happened?"

"I'll tell you at a different time, okay Vera?"

"Fine"

"But right now, I have a question for you..."

"Go on"

"Did Geraldo ever mention anything about a baby?" He asked.

"What? A baby?"

"Yes... did he, you know, tell you about any of his jobs?"

"You mean the jobs he did for you?"

"No. I - I just...". He sighed. "Never mind baby, we'll talk another time."

"And you're not going to tell me about this one either?"

He stayed silent for a minute. "It's for your safety, Mia Vera"

"Whatever". I hung up and went downstairs to get a drink.

My phone rang again but I ignored it knowing it was Patrizio calling, probably to apologize. I eventually turned it off as I didn't want to hear anything he had to say. Does he think I'm stupid? Or does he simply not trust me? I'm tired of being left in the dark, first by Geraldo, now by Patrizio. I'm tired.

That's it! I'm moving out of this house to start my life afresh, away from Patrizio and his money.

Excited about my new plan, I placed the glass of wine I had been drinking—on the table. I started heading back up the stairs when for a split second, I felt lightheaded. I lost my balance and I fell backward, but thankfully, a pair of hands caught me. I looked up to see one of the bodyguards.

"Are you okay, madam?" He asked with genuine concern on his face.

"Y-Yes" I forced myself out of his hold and stood on my feet.

"I'll take you to the hospital". He yelled to someone else. "Theodore! Watch the kid!"

"What? No, I'm fine". I argued. "I want my daughter! Either Bella comes with me or I won't go to the hospital! You choose."

"Fine." He agreed begrudgingly.

They got Bella downstairs and drove us both to the hospital. After I laid my complaint to the doctor, she had a nurse take some of my blood with a needle and syringe. I was placed on bed rest but insisted that Bella slept beside me. They gave me an IV containing an electrolyte-rich fluid, and after what seemed like hours, the doctor had me brought to her office. The bodyguards tried to follow me in, but the nurse was twice as stubborn and refused them entry.

I sat opposite Doctor Helen with a sleeping Bella in my arms. "What's wrong with me, doc?

Her almond eyes didn't seem to be withholding any bad news. She placed an envelope on the table in front of me.  "There's nothing wrong with you, Miss Veronica, but you might need to prepare yourself to welcome a new baby. You're pregnant."

I froze. As her words sank in, my hands started shivering.  "Did I hear that right? I'm having another baby?" Her nod confirmed my questions. My mind turned blank, I wasn't thinking at all. I got up and left her office. "Take me home". I said to the men when I got out.

"May I know what the doctor said?" Asked the bodyguard who saved me from falling.

His question annoyed me. I couldn't understand why I was mad at him, he had done me no wrong. "Nothing is wrong with me! I am well... Now, take me home!"

He said nothing after that but turned towards the exit with the rest of them. We walked out of the hospital and one of them opened the car door for me. I sat down in the back seat and two guys took the front seat, whilst the rest of the men occupied the black car next to ours. Soon, we were in motion, and in less than thirty minutes, we returned to the house.

I put Bella to sleep and stayed up for the rest of the night thinking about this innocent baby. How do I tell Patrizio about this when he seems too busy to even talk to me?

No, I won't tell him. I'll take Bella and go to my hometown, I just hope my aunt or sister still lives there.

Enough with your big secrets, Don Patrizio. Enough.