ᴀᴅᴀɢɪᴏ ꜱᴏꜱᴛᴇɴᴜᴛᴏ

Adagio sostenuto means "slow and sustained", indicating that a piece of music ought to be performed at a slow yet steady beat, with a sense of underlying energy driving the piece forward.

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

Itoshi Rin didn't like music, nor did he hate it. He simply didn't understand it. But one thing he did know. Playing instruments was hard. Moreover, playing instruments with feelings.

Even though most people call him heartless, he could tell the difference between a play with feelings and one without. He didn't understand how, he only knew which is which.

And that ability of his got noticed by himself as soon as he reached middle school. It started when he casually strolls the corridor of his school, and a chain of melody greets his ears. There's something different about the music like every note held a calming effect.

Every day when he walked past the music room, there would be someone there. Either playing the piano, the violin, or singing. But Rin knew it was always the same person since every time he takes a glimpse, it's always the same light-brown hair.

It was not until the fourth month of his freshmen year that he knew the name of the girl who is always playing music.

"Fukuda Erika! First-year student. I'm your fan," she said as she handed him a cold sports drink. And then she stuck to his side like glue. Surprisingly enough, Rin didn't feel bothered by her presence. If anything, she was kind of helpful and not as annoying as his other so-called fans.

As if Erika had the ability to read minds, she was able to move according to what he needed. When he needed space, she gave him. After he finished practice, she was at the bleachers with a bottle of water and a towel ready for him. Rin had his suspicions at first, but it didn't seem like she wanted anything from him.

In his second year of middle school, they were assigned to the same class. Even his seat was beside hers after they drew a lot. Because of this, Rin was able to observe the girl.

Erika was very good at music. She was always asked to play the piano in music class. Her singing voice was out of this world. And apparently, she had this thing called perfect pitch. But she was bad at academics.

Really, really bad.

According to her friends, she even needed to spend the summer vacation at school, taking extra classes for math. Rin found it amusing how someone can be so talented at one subject and so bad at the other.

So when the girl hesitantly asked him to teach her math, Rin accepted without much thought. Besides, it would be lukewarm when she was not in the bleachers for his summer practice. It somehow bothered him if she was not beside him. Because she usually was.

The one time when Erika was not nearby, Rin just had to get his mood ruined because of his teammate. He strolled the corridor furiously after practice, hoping to get some fresh air that could cool his head down.

As he got near the music room, it came to him like pouring rain. The gentle and dreamlike melody, but sounded really sad at the same time. He stepped inside the music room quietly, not wanting to disturb her. This was his first time inside the room outside of music class.

The music that sounded so sad now felt more vicious, as if she was pouring her rage into it. As if she was letting out her anger as her fingers danced on the piano keys. He couldn't believe that someone who was mild and gentle played such fierce and violent music. She ended the piece with a riff not long after and then sat there silently, her eyes glued to the musical notes in front of her.

Rin clapped his hands, appreciating Erika's performance. The girl jolted in her seat in surprise and quickly turned her back.

"Itoshi-kun! You startled me. Since when were you there?" Erika smiled as soon as she saw him in the corner of her eyes.

"Not long. Were you sad?" Rin raised an eyebrow as he folded his arms.

"No, I was mad," she answered. "But not anymore, music soothes my emotions. What brings you here, Itoshi-kun?"

"I was taking a walk."

"You are upset by something, aren't you?" Erika asked quietly.

Rin was taken aback. Erika seemed like she always knew what he felt. He nodded at her question.

"Come here." Erika scooted on her seat and patted the empty space beside her, signaling him to sit beside her.

Rin walked slowly and sat with her on the piano seat obediently.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Erika asked again. Rin shook his head. "Or do you want to listen to my play? You see, music calms me down, so maybe it will work on you too."

"I'll take on the latter offer."

Erika chuckled softly. "Alright, do you want me to play a particular piece?"

"No, you can play anything."

Erika was thinking for a moment, she gently pulled Rin's head to rest on her lap. It was a rather awkward position for Rin, but he enjoyed it. She ran her fingers through his hair briefly as she was deep in thought. Her hands moved not long after, her fingers dancing on the black and white piano key.

The music began slowly at first. It soothed its way through Rin's ears and made him sigh onto Erika's lap. He rests his head comfortably enough and carefully so he doesn't disturb Erika's play. The music from the piano fills the music room like a gently rolling-in storm. The notes rain onto him and he feels like the frustration is already slipping away.

"I'm sure you're familiar with this?" Erika asked while looking down at him.

"I've heard it several times," Rin answered.

"This is Moonlight Sonata's first movement. It's rather calming, is it not?" Erika smiled at him, her eyes never leaving his.

Rin could feel his heart skip a beat. The golden light of sunset shone on her figure in every right place, emphasizing her gentle features. Her presence alone was already beautiful and with this atmosphere, it was almost a mystical and heavenly sight. Rin realized his own thoughts and wondered when he had become so corny like this. But it didn't matter now. His sore heart has been soothed by her and the gentle piano play.

"Yeah."