Chapter 1

Months had passed since Toruk Makto and his family came to Awa'altu and were granted shelter from the sky people.

Since then, life had treated them well enough.

Adapting wasn't a problem for any of the family, especially not Neteyam. He was determined to become a warrior for the Metekyina as he was back home. Being the eldest son of a warrior of legends, he was expected to fight for his people no matter where he was.

Most days Neteyam would spend learning the ways of the reef people as ordered by the chief. Making friends with people his age was harder than anticipated but Tsireya would always be kind and welcoming to him and his siblings despite the sardonic looks and frustrated stares Ao'nung would give him without reason.

Most evenings Neteyam would spend alone, sharpening his arrows or walking along the shoreline. This was one of those evenings. Neteyam was alone collecting shells and pearls for Tuktirey to weave into beautiful jewellery that reminded her of the forest. Despite missing his home, it was the little things like watching his brother fall for the daughter of Olo'eyktan or watching his sister nurture her love for Nature after exploring Eywa's creations in the ocean, that made living in Awa'atlu a little bit more manageable.

Neteyam finally was content, at least that's what he told himself. He wasn't overly happy but neither was he angry. He had finally accepted his fate and had come to terms with what his life had become, it was Eywa's will after all. All was well, up until nobody other than Ao'nung, son of Olo'eyktan, came running up to him with panic painted on his face.

"Neteyam, I'm sorry. I swear it was a joke, I didn't mean to leave him." Ao'nung panted in short, frantic bursts.

He hardly approached him outside of lessons so Neteyam being confused was an understatement. "What has happened Ao'nung, what are you talking about?" He asked.

"Lo'ak." He replied, eyes wide in terror, "We left him beyond the reef this morning and he has not yet returned."

Neteyam's eyes, usually pools of golden honey, became a deep crimson - at least that is how Ao'nung remembers it. He dropped everything he was holding and stepped towards Ao'nung, not breaking eye contact for a second.

"We will find my brother." He said, pressing a finger firmly into the centre of Ao'nung's chest. "We will find him, and if we do not, I will kill you tonight with only my hands as weapons."

Neteyam spoke his words laced with venom and held his fists tight as if he was holding himself back. Ao'nung nodded desperately but before he could respond, he was being dragged to Toruk Makto's family mauri by the base of this queue. In all honesty, he was surprised he was not already on the floor bleeding out - he had never seen Neteyam look so callous.

Not long after, warriors had been sent out on search and Lo'ak was found with minor scratches and stories of a Tulkun named Payakan who supposedly saved his life. Lo'ak wasn't angry, he forgave Ao'nung and even made excuses for his foolery (which he was very grateful for).

Ao'nung made his way to the Sullys' Mauri  early the next morning with gifts he made for each member, Tuk was the most appreciative but everyone accepted and forgave him. All except Neteyam who returned the beaded bracelet Ao'nung had made him to the entrance of his family mauri later that night.

Weeks had passed, Lo'ak and Ao'nung spoke frequently and some would even call them friends. Ao'nung would sometimes visit Neytiri to bring information on behalf of his mother and would often stay for a short conversation afterwards. For some reason, despite what he had done to her son, Neytiri was still very fond of Ao'nung and would often call him a son of her own. He didn't mind and actually quite enjoyed the endearing words that she would speak to him about how good of a warrior he will grow to be.