005

A highlighter.

---

It's Friday.

New day, same routine. 

Before I leave the locker room Kathrine stands in my way again.

"What did I tell you," she questions. "Stay away from my man!"

"It's not my fault that Jaylen stares at me," I reply. "Tell him to stop staring." Kathrine stares at me with her jaw on the floor. Before she can even reply, I walk away. I don't have time for this.

I enter the gym while I tie my hair up. We still have five minutes before we officially start. I start my stretches. Owen approaches me.

"You still owe me that bite to eat, you know right?"

"My wallet is empty," I reply.

"Then I'll take you out," he says.

"Like how I took your ankle out," I tease as I stretch to grip my ankles. A hand on each ankle. Owen rolls his eyes.

"Or maybe how I took your ego out," I continue as I move my hands to lay flat on the floor, center of both of my legs. 

Owen chuckles. I stand up, confused.

"What's so funny?"

His eyes dart up to meet mine. "Nothing."

I turn around to see most of the boys looking at me.

"Quit staring and start stretching," Jaylen says. "Y'all are stiff as a rock anyway."

"Don't act like you weren't staring too," a boy calls out. It's Ian Yung. He's a tall Asian boy with semi-long hair, styled into a wolf cut. He's actually very attractive. Everyone says that he used to have a crush on me, but I'll never know for sure.

Jaylen lightly blushes. "Shut it Yung! Everyone, three laps now!"

Everyone groans.

"And Ghost, we need to have a word. Privately." 

I begin my first lap.

Today practice wasn't that bad. The boys were a little nicer but that's about it. I still don't know why everyone was staring at me. That's a little strange.

After we break, I head over to Owen.

"I think we should go to a coffee shop, if coffee is your thing," I offer. Owen doesn't even acknowledge my presence, instead he goes to talk to someone else. Weird. Maybe he didn't hear me. I tap his shoulder and call his name.

"Leave me alone! Can't you see that I don't want to talk to you," he exclaims. "Go annoy someone else."

That's what I get for thinking he'd actually want to be my friend. But he was just talking to me earlier. 

Also strange.

I take off to the locker room.

I change into my outfit for the day; a white shirt and shorts with a blue and yellow Golden State Warriors jersey that reads "Curry" on the back. I put on a pair of matching yellow shoes. I pull my white socks up to my knees and take out my messy bun letting my thick curls rest on my shoulders.  This is my day. It has to be. I need it to be. I swing my backpack over my shoulder and continue walking. 

"Hey girl," Tia shouts from across the locker room, where the mirrors are. I walk over to her. "Congratulations on making the team, babes! Sorry for doubting you."

"Thanks Tia," I say. "But they haven't shown who made the team yet."

"Be so for real, we both know you made the team," she responds.

She's right. Right?

"Now let's go, Pookie. The bell is about to ring, and I wanna see my mans."

Her mans is Jeremiah Smith. They aren't dating but they act like it. Plus they're cute together. We leave and enter the crowded hallway. I split to my class, while she splits for her mans.

 I couldn't pay attention during any of my classes today. My mind was focused on being in the team. The day seemed to drag as so the clock.

3:30 pm

Finally the bell rang. School's out, names posted.

I raced downstairs to the gym. Its full of all the boys from tryouts. I can't see. It's way to crowded. I'm not letting it slide this time. I shove through with all my might. Some boys are cheering, while others are disappointed. But soon, they were all surprised to see one name highlighted;

Amelia J. Thompson

---

674 words

 Hey Guppies!! I made this chapter when I was tired so I lift out plenty of minor details, and I apologize for that, so I may edit this soon. I don't have much to say other than; thanks for reading!!

-J. King