50. A Marauders Bonding

At the start of summer, Sirius and Remus had informed Lyra that they would have their bonding ceremony this summer. Lyra squealed and ran in circles, turning into a puppy in her excitement.

Start of fifth-year, Lyra had finally taken the steps to become an Animagus. Her friends were amazed and had wanted to learn too. They'd spent the year studying up on the process and practicing the spell needed. This summer, they were going to try to transform themselves. Sirius, Remus, and Lyra were supporting them every step of the way.

Sirius had turned into his dog form and chased her through the house. Remus had sat calmly drinking his tea waiting for the father-daughter duo to calm down. When they finally came back into the room, he just smiled indulgently at them. Lyra began listing things they'd need to prepare, and who they'd invite, where it would be, and much more. Remus summoned Dobby to fetch her quill and notebook so she could write down her ideas.

They told Lyra that they were planning an extended honeymoon in the cabin she'd got them, until September 1st. Sirius was worried that she'd feel like they'd abandoned her, but she had told them to go for it. She'd invite her friends over, and maybe Tom could stay a couple of days too. Lyra had also told them to not return for her birthday, she'd call them on the mirrors. They could use them over the summer to contact her if necessary, and vice versa.

And so, Lyra, Sirius, and Remus planned the couples bonding at Grimmauld Place, for the second week of the holidays. Lyra had sent out the invites early and had heard back from almost everyone. Kreacher and Dobby had cleaned up the garden for the bonding. There was an archway placed at the end of a makeshift aisle, with seats all around. The archway was placed under an Oak tree that stood towards the cack of the garden. Fairy lights had been strung through the tree to gently illuminate the space. The Le Fay manor elves, Freya and Nieva, helped make the food for the ceremony.

They'd ordered some bonding robes last year. The robes arrived two days before the ceremony. Lyra made sure that Sirius and Remus tried them on as soon as they came, so any adjustments could be made by the house elves if necessary. Neither one was allowed to know what the other was wearing, they had coordinated by colours though so they would still match.

Finally, the day came.

Lyra was up at four doing last minute preparations for them. She'd made up little favours to hand out to guests, Dobby was making sure the garden looked pristine, Freya and Nieva were baking small delights, and Kreacher was doing one last clean of the house. At six, people in the bonding ceremony started arriving. Lyra had made sure there was a breakfast spread ready for them. Rabastan and Rodolphus Lestrange were each going to help one of the couple. The night before, Remus had insisted on the one tradition to keep was they didn't see each other until the ceremony. Sirius had whined loudly at that, but Lyra hit him round the back of the head and told him to respect Remus's want of tradition. Remus had laughed at that. Lily had done the same when James moaned that she wanted to do that before their bonding.

There was a knock at the door and Lyra greeted the Lestrange brothers. This was the first time she was meeting them in person, and not corresponding through letters. Just before summer, the healers had cleared them to live in their own manor. She had wanted to meet them all for a while. Rabastan was the mate of Barty, and Lyra was pleased they could finally be together again. He was going to help Sirius. Lyra handed him a plate of food for Sirius and wished him luck to wake her father. He laughed and went to the bedroom he'd stayed in the night before. Rodolphus had laughed at his brother and asked if he'd have the same problem with Remus. Lyra had said that he'd already be awake reading, so the opposite. He too, took the plate of food she gave him and headed up to help.

Narcissa, Andromeda, and Bellatrix showed up shortly after, to help Lyra. They looked wonderful in their formal gowns. Lyra hugged them all. She left them ordering the elves to do the last few minute touches around the house, so that she could go change.

Her dress was a deep red colour, with golden embroidery on the bodice. It was a corset style top, and flowing skirt. The sleeves were long gauzy strips of fabric that hung off her shoulders. She knew it was on theme for her father, since he would flaunt his Gryffindor side to anyone, especially his Slytherin family.

At one o'clock, everyone was sat in their seats. Tom had come to the bonding. He sat next to Lyra, holding her hand and rubbing his thumb across her knuckles to calm her down. She was nervous for them. As she was looking at all the faces who'd come to celebrate their union, Tom was staring at her. He was stunned by her beauty every time he saw her, but when she was in gowns like this, he was speechless. How did I get so lucky with her? He thought to himself.

Sirius and Remus came down the aisle together, and Lyra teared up. Their faces were in wide smiles, and they couldn't stop staring at each other. McGonagall was officiating the ceremony, and as she watched her former students walk towards her, tears leaked from her eyes. She had loved the Marauders and now she would see the last members - Pettigrew doesn't count - bonded together.

The ceremony was short and sweet. The union vows from both had everyone crying. Lyra had to stop herself from squealing when the union bond magic flowed around them, glowing brightly and settling within them.

The chairs stacked themselves once everyone stood to cheer them down the aisle once again, and the reception started. People chatted, ate food, danced, and all in all, had a good time. Lyra was slow dancing with Tom when she caught the eye of Sirius and Remus. She nodded her head towards the house for them to follow her.

Lyra left Tom in the garden. He went to mingle, knowing she had a very special surprise for the two of them.

Inside, Lyra took Sirius and Remus to the study on the main floor. She took a breath and faced them.

"I have a surprise for the two of you. It will last about ten minutes, but I thought you might appreciate it today"

Remus and Sirius nodded to Lyra. She closed her eyes and concentrated. Four figures shimmered into view. Lyra only opened her eyes once she heard Sirius gasp in shock.

Standing before them, were the ghosts of James Potter, Lily Potter, Hope Lupin - Remus's mum - and Regulus Black.

All three of them teared up at the sight.

"Congrats Paddy and Moony! Took you long enough huh?" James said with a cocky grin on his face.

Lily slapped the back of his head. "James! But truly, you deserve this happiness boys. Especially after all you've done for our little girl"

Regulus stuck his tongue out at Sirius, who laughed. "Can't take money from a dead man after winning our bet. You bonded first"

Fits of giggles erupted from Lyra. Sirius turned to her with a raised eyebrow.

"You bet you would bond first? After the stories I've heard from Moony? The only reason you won is because he's dead"

Everyone but Sirius laughed at that, even Hope and Remus. They spent the time talking pleasantly before they faded.

It was a very good day for the little family.