002. | so... i'm rewriting lapis lazuli?

okay so, hear me out...
i really want to rewrite lapis lazuli.

*hides* please don't hit me

I KNOW, I KNOW. BUT JUST...
HUMOUR ME FOR LIKE A SECOND.

i've felt a little... stuck? with this book recently. it was honestly weird, because i was speeding through chapters and then i just stopped. but, i think i've finally realised why i've had such a block...

the desire to rewrite doesn't stem from any kind of dislike for the book, per se. i'm actually really proud of the book so far, and some of the chapters are still my favourite things i've ever written. i'm very content with the storyline how it is — that i don't intend to change.

BUT, since i've started writing other hunger games fics, i just can't shake the feeling that it could be so much better, you know? i've been pouring my heart and soul into needlepoint recently, with all its world-building and character complexities, and LL just doesn't feel on the same level anymore.

and that's because i started LL wayyyy back in 2020 when i first got back into writing, so some of the earlier chapters were written almost three years ago now. i feel like i've grown as a writer expeditiously since then, but even with that aside, my actual visions for the book have changed as well. i had such a basic perception of district one in the beginning, and these days, it has expanded SO MUCH. the characters and relationship dynamics have also become so much clearer in my head, etc. essentially, there isn't much i want to take from the current book, there's just A LOT that i want to add or improve.

in fact, there are very few things i want to change, per se. all of the changes to the existing content are actually very very minor. mostly, i just want to either add additional scenes, go more in-depth with my characters/settings, and just tidy the writing to make the descriptions a little nicer.

but on that note, maybe i can convince you of my thinking
with this nifty list of changes you would see... 🥹👉👈

━━ MORE WORLD-BUILDING! as i've already mentioned, but i want to show district one so much more! it's such a cool, complex district and i have so many ideas for it. building on the version we already see, but making the north/south differences more developed, as well as expanding on the locations/customs/culture, etc. & expanding the industry to more than just jewellery! i have SO many ideas i cannot stop talking about it (just ask vee!)

━━ our beloved background characters deserve MORE screen time! 👏 period. the lads, lavender, CLARA. they're all super fun, but i just don't think i utilised them enough the first time. a lot of the characters felt a little... flat. they deserve more personality outside of their involvement with the main characters!

━━ and that means MORE BENTLEY & STERLING! my loverly lovely boys!! sterling especially — his character (our mercutio) has been a little passive, but he's actually really important to the story, so i want to involve him more from the offset and give more of his personality! but i also have big plans for ben...

━━ AND MORE COBALT! because i must admit, his character has grown on me a lot recently. he was always so dislikable... and we're obv not supposed to like him, but i want to add more nuance to his character to make his story more complex! he isn't just a pretentious meanie guys :(

━━ speaking of — more of the beaumont family altogether! i don't want to spoil but i have such fun ideas for them and their family history (eek), but one teenie spoiler... i've decided i really want to alter their family business to be luxury wine based🍷👀 they'd still own marvel's workshop (& there's a fun story behind why!) but them being vitners and living on a vineyard is just so... *chefs kiss* i always forget about the wine part of one's industry! (plus, does beaumont not just sound like a type of fancy wine?)

━━ i want to slightly fix the pacing of act two, just so that we can get to the chaotic stuff a little sooner (because do i hear mercutio/tybalt brawl scene, anyone?)

━━ and then, a BIG one... I w̶a̶n̶t̶ need to show more of marvel's cocky career side! it's such an integral part of his character, yet, it gets slightly trampled by the romance and plot atm. of course i love marvel being soft but my boy is also a badass and i want to showcase that! that means more training scenes, more insight into the career system, etc etc! this is a careers book, after all...

to be honest, the whole book to me just feels a little two dimensional right now. there isn't enough development, everything is very info-dumped and overall it just feels a little sloppy?

this book truly is my baby. it means so much to me, as soon as i started it i so distinctly felt that "this is where i belong" feeling. i adore district one, i adore marvel. and it's because the book means so much to me that i'm determined to do it justice. this book deserves my everything and my best!!

i realise that so many people love the book already and i'm forever so thankful for all the love it's received. if you're caught up on the book and don't want to reread, don't feel the need to! since the basic storyline is staying the same you can defo follow new chapters without rereading the old ones.

BUT, if you want to see these things better come to life (esp if you've read NP and have seen the quality and style of that book), then i do urge you to join me on this journey! i now have four months of summer that i plan to spend writing so i'm hoping i can plough through it quickly and get back on track with the rest of the story!!

marvel says pls give dani's thought process
a chance... thank you 🥹

all my love,
DANI x

and if you still haven't been convinced, perhaps a
marvel *pun intended* at the new and updated
pinterest board can persuade you... 👉👈

https://pin.it/7B0y4ty