Omelette

I yawned loudly and threw my half finished homework back inside my bag. Who uses study halls to do their homework anyway. I looked up to see Mercedes and Kurt waving at me from the hallway. I slipped out from my desk and grabbed my bag. The teacher was too busy looking at job listings on Indeed to notice I walked out of the room.  

"I'm sorry y/n, but you look terrible." Kurt looked at me, concern written all over his face.

Mercedes nodded, "You look like you haven't slept in days."

I covered my mouth as I yawned louder than before. "Well, I completely forgot I was still in the Cheerios. So Sue made me practice twice every single day." I rubbed my eyes fully aware of the dark circles under my eyes.

"You need to chill, girl." Artie suggested. "You're doing way too much for a freshman."

Kurt nodded and added, "We should all really just focus on glee."

"Is it just me, or does it feel like we actually have a shot at regionals next month?" Mercedes smiled confidently. "And we haven't gotten slushied in days!"

Artie pulled out his phone and showed us the nerdy gossip. "Ohio Show Choir chat rooms have been buzzing about how Vocal Adrenaline has lost a step."

Kurt nodded in agreement, "The judges know all their tricks. And now that we have Jesse, they've lost their best performer."

Rachel ran toward us with a panicked look on her face. "You guys have to come to the auditorium. It's an emergency!"

We all looked at each other like an episode of Scooby-Doo and quickly followed Rachel towards the auditorium. The rest of the glee club stood and looked around as confused as us. Quinn leaned against the wall tiredly. I quickly walked over to her and hugged her.

"Hey you." She smiled at me and kissed my cheek.

"You should really be sitting." I led her to the one of the many empty seats in the auditorium. "It's just a glee club thing, right? You shouldn't be standing."

"Is that Jesse?"

I followed Quinn's gaze towards the stage full of Vocal Adrenaline members. And just as she said, Jesse walked to the front of the stage with a small smirk on his lips. 

"Jesse? What are you doing up there with them?" Rachel asked with a hint of hurt and betrayal. 

"I've transferred back to Carmel High Rachel." He explained, "I'm sorry that it's come to this, but you guys were awful to me. You never accepted me. you never listened to my clearly superior ideas."

"Why here in the auditorium?" Finn questioned. 

"The blogs and chat rooms say we're finished and that you are ripe to topple us." Jesse crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. "We just wanted to show you something that we came up with a few days ago to see if you agree with that assessment."

Jesse walked back to the group, taking his place right in the center of the group. He was definitely the male Rachel. Vocal Adrenaline performed Another One Bites the Dust, with Jesse obviously leading the group. 

Without Jesse, I saw no chance in us winning the competition. 

"Thanks for letting us borrow your auditorium guys. It's quaint." A girl whose name I had completely forgotten laughed.

Vocal Adrenaline laughed along with her and walked to the side of the stage. Mercedes comforted Rachel on the way out. It was a silent walk back out into the hallway. 

"It's a Carmel High tradition." Artie broke the silence, "They psych out the competition a few weeks before the show. it's a funkification, meaning they show us what they've got, and we spiral in a deep, black funk."