First Day Of The Year

Thomas was bored, not that he would tell anyone. Not that he would have anyone to tell. When he had walked into his classroom for the start of a new year, he had realised that nothing was new after all. The same boring people as last year, the same teacher as last year, he even had the same desk. Nothing new what so ever.

Sitting down at his desk, Thomas took out his brand new notebook and pens that his father had gotten him. He had filled in all of the information page the day before, and he was not one for doodles so the book and pen laid on the desk, ready for notes to be taken later on in the day.

There was a knock on the classroom door making everyone look towards it, backs straight just in case it was the headmaster making a surprise tour. Thomas had noticed that the man did that a lot, he made a lot of surprise visits.

A sudden splatter against his cheek. Thomas frowned, if it was the headmaster then he'd be sure to receive a detention for being messy on his first day. Mother would not be pleased. Thomas gave an almost silent sigh before taking out a tissue and cleaning his cheek. He could see the other children in his class watching him, testing if he was still the way he as last year. He was, and proved it by ignoring them.

The door opened and in stepped a boy. Messy chocolate hair, dark blue eyes, his clothes were just as messy as his hair. The boy's eyes seemed to sweep over the class, studying every face before focusing on him. He was not subtle about it either, everyone saw and was now looking at the two of them. Thomas grit his teeth and looked down at his notebook, pretending that he was reading.

Their teacher introduced the boy as Samuel Smithle. Samuel introduced himself as Sam. The class was welcoming as was Thomas's classmate's way. Sam looked like the sort to join them. The teacher told the new boy that he could choose any spare seat. There were only two spare seats left, the one right in the middle of the first row, or the one next to his in the third.

Samuel looked right at him, walked up and placed his hands on Thomas's desk, leaning forward slightly. Thomas looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. What could the boy want?

"You mind if I sit next to ya'?" He asked.

Thomas blinked in surprise, he had thought that the boy would just sit next to him as others had. He tilted his head in curiosity, but Samuel seemed to take that for a yes and rushed to sit next to him. Thomas narrowed his eyes at the boy, to which he responded with a smirk.

The final bell ran and class started before Thomas could make any complaints. He heard Samuel laugh and sighed, he was in for a long year.