The Hunt For a Job

You chewed on your pencil, your other hand scrolling through the job hunting website on your laptop. There you sat, on your bed and yet again trying to find a career. To put it simply, you were broke. Not like 'I am but a lowly peasant' broke, but you could definitely use some cash. Unfortunately for you, your parents left you to fend for yourself. It's not like they didn't love you. If anything, you were their world, but they didn't want you to depend on them. Like your father had said, "A good worker does not need to be dependent. Be a leader, (Name)!"

You sighed, shutting your laptop. Your eyes scanned your small apartment. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was nothing but a single room with a stove and sink in one corner, a door leading to a tiny bathroom, a white dresser, a small white nightstand next to a full size bed, and a little cat bed for your black kitten that you had rescued.

Speaking of, the sound of a tiny meow came from the side of your bed. You looked down and smiled softly at the kitten with green eyes and a tiny white bit of fur at the tip of his tail, still too small to hop on your bed himself. You giggled and leaned down, picking up the small kitten.

"You sure are loud, mister." You said as you set him on the bed, "Especially for such a tiny little man." You scratched his head, and his ears fell back as you did. You could feel him vibrate with a purr that shook his whole body. You smiled and stopped petting him, much to his disappointment. He folded his legs under him and laid down in a position that most cat owners called 'Loaf Mode'. You smiled and pulled your arms above your head in a stretch. A large yawn interrupted any thoughts that invaded your mind in the silence.

No, you couldn't fall asleep right now. Job now, sleep later.

You scrolled

And scrolled...

And- WAIT

A café? That sounds... really nice, actually! You could picture it now. You, a waiter, serving random customers from all different backgrounds, their food, probably making new friends... and dealing with Karens. You huff and furrow your brows. Could your stress levels handle more at the moment? What if it's a super popular café with a ton of people all the time? It did look really fancy. Did you want to deal with rich people? Ew, not really...

And yet still, you clicked on the application.

The Phantomhive Café. Geez, even the name sounded fancy! Was this a café or a five-star restaurant? The building wasn't helping either, a tall gothic house that might as well have been a castle. It was beautiful. Are you sure you weren't joining a cult of some sort? Well, it didn't look too fancy. It actually looked quite nice!

You then raised your brow at the photo of the owner.

That was a whole ass twelve year old! There's no way he owned this place!

Written in fancy lettering above the photo was the name 'Ciel Phantomhive'. Okay, maybe he's just really short... and young looking... and twelve. Yeah, no, he's twelve!

Was this a joke? No, why would anyone waste their time pranking someone like that? Well, there are some weird people on the internet. You sighed and rested your elbow on your knee, holding your face in your palm, which squished in your cheek. You looked it over one more time before clicking apply. Maybe it was your half-asleep brain dulling out your common sense, you didn't care. The date was set for a week from now.

You shut your laptop, lay back on your bed, and promptly pass out.