Chapter Nine

Izabel
It's one hour before the race starts. I've seen Charles twice since i got here in the morning. He was getting interviewed by some news channel. I don't think he knows i'm here.

After one of the network's engineer (who was apparently named David) explained everything i needed to know, i just had to observe how the race team functions and get familiar with the place. They said i could start working at the Spain GP which will be held after two weeks in Barcelona.

I was walking around the paddock with Ellie,who's  marketing director for the team. I actually got introduced to her today, and she's been sticking by my side all day, so i wouldn't feel lonely or i don't know. It's actually nice to be around a female, in a men dominated workplace. It makes me feel safer.

I went to back to the garage and noticed everyone getting ready. I was looking over at Carlos who was putting his mic on when Charles entered. He didn't notice me at first but once he did he slowed his steps. God he looks so good in that ferrari uniform.

"How did you get here?" he approaches. This is one of the times where i slide in a joke so it gets less awkward than it is. "I drove here, obviously, i'm not very fond of walking"
He doesn't move a muscle. When did he start being so serious?

"I work here, now" i saw awkwardly moving my head around the pit. He nods "Of course you do" and with that he walks away.

What did that mean? He finished getting ready and left without acknowledging me in the slightest. I guess i really am the last person he'd wanna see right now. But he'll have to deal with it, since i'll be sticking around for a long time.

He won pole position yesterday at the qualifying race. He really did a good job. The race starts in 20 minutes and he's about to settle in the car. Xavi is also settled in the garage with his mic, ready to start.

David handed me a pair of headphones which i'm not sure why i'll be needing them but i accept anyway. And so it goes on.

The first five laps went really good. He reached fastest lap with 1:43:009 on lap five. He continued to lead the track until lap 11, turn 3 when he got overtaken by Verstappen.

That's where he remained for the rest of the race. He won second place, his third podium of this year. He's doing so good, i'm so proud of him.

He didn't look happy or excited when he got out of the car at the end of the race. He went over and hugged his team and gave a few smiles in return, but i knew he wasn't satisfied with the results. Wish i could just hug him and let him know what a good job he really did today. But i can't. I'm not his anymore. Im not the first person he'd run to after every race. And i will have to accept that.

I can't help but look at him with admiration.I don't even care if anyone's looking, i can't take my eyes off him. The sweat gushing from the side of his forehead after taking the casket off, the messy hair, his glowing green eyes. Him, just him.

He nodded walking past me,headed towards Xavi. They hug before they start talking about something i can't quite figure out and then he leaves to his room.

A few hours later, Max, Charles and Perez are giving an interview right beside the track. They had a few meetings with the fans after the race and they've been interviewed five times by now, i don't know how they do it.

It's 6 o'clock in the afternoon and most of the people are spreading out, since the drivers went to their hotel rooms. I was also getting ready to leave when Ellie called me "Can you do me a favour and take this at Charles' room at the garage please, thank you" she leaves a shoe box in my hands and doesn't even give me time to respond.

So i do. I notice the door is slightly open, so i just slide in. It's a plain room with a red couch, and a middle table. A few tiny plants in the left corner of the room and a few ferrari posters hanging in the wall. I give a closer look at them and they seem to have been there for a while. I observe around until i hear a voice from behind me "Looking for someone?"

I turn around to face him and he closes the door moving slowly towards me. "Uhm.. Ellie send me to give you these." I leave the box at the table and i move towards the door before turning around to face him again "You did a great job on the track today, congrats on the podium"

"Thank you" is all he says and just stands there with his hands locked behind his back. I turn to open the door it won't budge "The door won't open"

"I know, i locked it"  he says in a serious tone.

"What,why?"

"Because you and i left some things unfinished, and you owe me an explanation" he doesn't move from where he's standing.

"Charles i don't owe you shit, please open the door, i need to get home"

"I can't"

"Charles-" i call out before he cuts me off "No i actually can't. The door won't open unless its from the outside. The handle has been broken for two weeks now."

"What"  he just shrugged

"I'd take a seat if i were you. We're gonna be here for a while" he's so chill about this.

I start banging on the door praying anyone would hear me. I need to get out. I can't face him now,not yet. I yell and yell but nobody answers. So i just sit on the ground next to the door.

"Are you done?" he says while moving to the couch.

I really am done. Done with fucking everything.

"What do you want?" i ask looking at him.

"I already told you, an explanation"

"You want an explanation to why i left you Charles? I left you because i wanted to, because i looked at you and all i felt was tired. I was sick of you, you hear me?"  Lie. A fucking liar.
"I don't regret it in the slightest." i disgust my self.

Yell back at me, please. Scream on my face,hit me until i become unrecognisable. Make me pay for everything Charles.

But instead, he just looks at me with a sad expression. First time i've seen him wear one. I hurt him again. Idiot. Idiot. Fucking idiot.
I felt tears glimmering in my eyes as ache consumes my insides, ripping and tearing, and biting and burning, unbearable and inescapable.

Hope it tears me to shreds until there's no remainings of my existence. Because that's all i deserve. That's all i was cut out for.