Chapter 7: The Exit

Inside the library, it wasn't just vines that had invaded across the floor and up the bookcases and walls, there was also a strange webbing of some sort that was taking over the space as well. The adults took the lead with their flashlights, Quinn following behind them, eyes scanning across every surface.

Hopper spotted small puddles of blood on the checkered floor and followed the trail into the back of the main reading room and down the stairs into the basement. It was much darker here, even though from outside it had appeared like there was a light. He barely heard Joyce mutter "Oh my god" at the sight of a skeleton precariously stretched over the side of a table.

The webbing was much denser down here, Hopper noticed. He directed his flashlight over the concentrated masses until the light revealed a body laying on the floor, the webbing only half covering it.

"Barbara," Quinn whispered, standing next to him. He looked down at the teen, noting the crease in her brow. She recognised the missing girl but clearly this was not where she had found her before. Joyce had relayed to him that Dr. Brenner had told her six people went missing this week. Is this where they had all landed ultimately?

Joyce continued scanning the area with her flashlight until it landed on an opening in the webbing revealing a young face, eyes closed and some strange root over the mouth.

"Will! Will!" She screamed recognising her son's face. Hopper and Quinn quickly turned in Joyce's direction.

"Hopper! You need to help get him out!" She cried, tugging on the vines entrapping Will's body. As gently as he could, Hopper started pulling the root out of the boy's mouth, horrified when he started using both hands and more was still coming. When it was finally completely out, he threw it back on the ground.

"Oh, Jesus!" He exclaimed when it hissed and writhed on the floor. He quickly took hold of the rifle and shot at it. While he was busy with that, Quinn moved around him and carefully started cutting the vines and the webbing away with the blade of the axe. With Joyce's help, she pulled Will out and away from the wall. Hopper helped them slowly lower the boy's body to the ground, all three crouching down around him. Joyce took off the helmet of her suit, and lowered her ear towards his mouth.

"He's not breathing, he's not breathing," she sobbed up at Hopper who removed his helmet as well.

"All right, Joyce, listen to me, listen to me," he said sternly, grabbing her arm as panic started taking over her senses.

"I need you to tilt his head back, and lift his chin," he ordered. Joyce did as she was told. Quinn watched attentively as Hopper placed his hands in the middle of Will's chest and started doing compressions, counting out loud.

"Now when I tell you, you're gonna pinch his nostrils, and breath into his mouth twice," he told Joyce.

"Okay," Joyce confirmed, trying her hardest to calm herself.

"One second, and then pause," Hopper continued, "then one second." He counted up to 30 and then told Joyce "now, go!" She bent forward, breathing into Will's mouth once, pausing, and then breathing a second time.

"Oh come on, come on," Joyce whimpered seeing that their efforts had done nothing so far.

"I can help," Quinn cut in as Hopper continued with the chest compressions. Hopper looked at her skeptically.

"Please save my boy," Joyce cried on the edge of despondence. Quinn slapped her hands together and then rubbed them together, creating a concentration of static.

"Joyce, unzip his jacket and pull up his shirt," Hopper ordered understanding what she was doing. The older woman did as she was told, begging her son to come back to life.