iii. when I first saw you

[ act one - the hunger games ]

CHAPTER THREE
| when I first saw you |
- LOVE STORY, T.S

PEARL'S BODY BUZZED CONTINUOUSLY THROUGHOUT THE JOURNEY FROM THE JUSTICE BUILDING TO THE TRAIN STATION. A grin was practically glued onto her face from the moment she came into contact with the many reporters that swarmed the station. The unspoken vow to never drop her act, to never show an ounce of weakness in front of the capitol. A mischievous wink, a sweet smile, and a friendly wave were all it took. Yet, on the other hand, Pearl felt that her act left her feeling empty. Deep down she knew that the capitol would only see her for how she looked and what she was wearing instead of the good ideas and power moves she put forward. She knew she had the brains needed to win the games and she'll make sure to prove it.

Marvel Sanford, who had now finally arrived at the train station, was far more fortunate than Pearl when it came to impressing the Capitol. Pearl wondered if he had already begun creating his victory plan. However, she recalls arguing with her dear friend, Claudette, multiple times about the IQ Marvel possessed. In the end, Pearl concluded that he had a brain the size of a pea. Furthermore, resulting in the idea that Marvel had not yet considered planning how he could win. For now, Pearl knew that the only thing he had on his mind was to charm the Capitol which was no chore for him of course. Despite Pearl's strong dislike towards him, he wasn't completely ugly. She was sure some Capitol women would find him attractive.

The inside of the train chambers radiated the same lavishness Pearl had imagined the Capitol to have. The speed it drove at was even more accelerating. Sure District One was able to afford far more admirable things than the other districts could but even the wealthiest belonging Pearl owned was worthless compared to that of the Capitol. She'd often sit around and loathe the Capitol citizens. Their lives were always filled with bliss. They didn't have to wake up every morning so they could train for the annual Hunger Games. In fact, they got to watch it for entertainment. Their lives free from the fear of death and starvation.

Pearl, stuck thinking deeply about her envy, almost didn't realise the brunette lurking behind her. Reluctantly, she slowly turned around to glare at the boy. Marvel stared back at her with the same fury painted on his face. This turned her anger into a state of confusion,

why is he angry?

"Are you joking?." snarled Marvel causing Pearl's jaw to drop in shock. She couldn't comprehend why he was suddenly so enraged. She hadn't done anything. Pearl let a quiet "huh?" slip from her lips.

"Did you have to volunteer the same year as me?" Now, Pearl seriously had to sit down. She stared at Marvel in astonishment.

"Are you serious? I could ask you the same thing."
"Besides Marvel, I was up on that stage first. You chose to volunteer after me."

"That doesn't mean anything. Everyone knew I was volunteering this year."

Pearl mentally face planted herself. This nonsense was giving her a headache, "Listen Marvel, I didn't know that, neither did your girlfriend or anyone I know. So here's a reality check, you're pretty irrelevant." The snarky comment from the blonde made Marvel even more angry. He was only seconds away from charging at Pearl before a masculine hand was placed on his shoulder.

Leaning over him was this years D1 mentors, Benjamin Pawder and Regina Haven. The pair was quite young compared to other mentors this year as they were only 28 and 22. Benjamin won his games at 18 during the 64th hunger games, one year after the Infamous Gloss and Cashmere sibling duo. Often overshadowed by the siblings wins, Benjamin hadn't earned himself a large reputation. Regina Haven, on the other hand, was just as pretty as she was deadly. She won during the 69th games at 16 with her explosive temper and intoxicating charm. After her win, she was absolutely adored by the capitol. Pearl often dreamed of that sort recognition.