number one

the halls of hawkins high are always loud and noisy, and crowded with kids who wouldn't care to shove you out of their way. their selfish, ignorant, and absolutely rude. of course will byers was the opposite of this, he was an .. inverted narcissist? perhaps that's the correct term. will cared about everyone and everything around him.

will would sneak out to his moms garden everyday after school and plant a new seed so she would feel like progress was made when she had no motivation to continue her lovely garden.

will would purposely leave his buddies in dnd the good stuff after defeating a villain so they would have a better inventory then him. it didn't really help in the long run, but hey! that's okay, he pleased people, right?

will only wished to please one person, mike wheeler. they boy he'd loved since they got closer after wills abduction with the demogorgan. will was pleased before mike told him he had feelings for el. the pretty girl of the group, of course max was pretty, but she didn't have a pretty attitude most of the time, plus she wasn't even mikes type! why should will care about her stealing his guy?

will didn't hate el, not at all, he loved her, because she was his step-sister. well, not quite his step-sister, but his sister. she was kind, and sweet, and powerful. oh gosh , she was really powerful. she saved will many times before and he felt bad, so he had to let her have mike (for now).

will tried to please mike after they had started dating, but mike pushed will away, same with dustin and lucas, so the three of them had to stick together. dustin and lucas eventually found a group of freaks who play dnd also, and they got themselves and will into it, mike later joined after dustin convinced him to for a new campaign the dungeon master, eddie, was creating.

————

(i haven't played dnd in a month, correct me if i get anything wrong)

"strength check!" mike rolled the dice on the table. a ten. "ooh wheeler, pretty strong, but is it strong enough? .. no!" eddie yelled and mike fell back into his chair, scoffing.

will looked up at the curly, black-haired boy in front of him, whose eyes were shining in the light hanging over the board. mikes eyes scanned the room and eventually met wills, mike flashed a small smile as lucas rolled his die, drawing attention to the number on the game board.

"okay lucas, let's see, only a bit amount of health left this gnoll has" eddie looked at the card in his hands before glancing at a notebook he had sitting in his lap. "you got him! good job guys, how long has it been, 5 hours? let's chat a bit before we end the night, kay?" eddie gave everyone a look and everyone nodded hesitantly.

"gareth the great, your health is low, eat some snacks so your character doesn't die, you'll need to create a whole new one then" eddie pointed at gareth, who nodded. gareth emerson. the pretty boy who was quite underrated in the school. he had dirty blonde curls that perfectly framed his face, the face that was peppered with little freckles underneath his majestic blue eyes. oh to be him.

will stared at gareth, not even realizing he was until dustin punched his shoulder. "hello! will the wise!" dustin snapped him out of his thoughts and will turned his head to eddie who had his hands folded on the table. "you need to add some more spells to your spell book" will nodded and blushed in embarrassment at the fact he wasn't paying attention.

eddie continued to tell everyone things they needed to do, as if they didn't know themselves. will the wise was leveling up, meaning will would obviously have to add more spells to his book, he'd shrug it off for the next few days and do it on the weekend, when he would usually hang out with the guys (mike, lucas and dustin) but mike wasn't coming over for him, he was coming over for el. ew.

everyone gathered their things and made their way out the door. rain poured down on the dark parking lot of the school, the parking lights illuminating on the puddles. will sighed and turned to his bike. ekim was her name. will loved ekim, she was his bike, and she had a sticker on the side that had a dragon on it. it was a piece of art will had made and eventually got turned into a sticker at the library with a tiny gadget made for a kid.

"need a ride?" will turned around and looked behind him, it was gareth, he had his skateboard tucked under his arm. "on a skateboard? no way" will laughed and tucked his hand into his pocket. "no! i left it in my locker yesterday, so i drove my car, well, my dads car, but that doesn't matter" gareth gave will a smile. will nodded. "okay, let's go" gareth led the way to his car, a shiny silver 1980 mustang.

gareth unlocked it and walked over to the trunk, tossing his skateboard and backpack into it, then slamming it shut. he eventually made his was to the drivers seat, and turned the car on. will shivered and rubbed his arms. "cold? good thing the hat works..." gareth pushed a few buttons before warm air started blowing onto will. will gave gareth a small smile and popped his knuckles.

"so, i seen the way you look at mike, do you like him?" gareth asked as he looked at will. will sighed. "nuh-no! i dont!" will shook his head, his heart speeding up at the thought of being outed to the whole school. "you do, don't you? don't worry, i won't go bashing all your secrets" gareth kept his eyes on the road as the pouring rain fell onto the car.

"pinkie promise" gareth turned to look at will. will met his gaze and nodded slowly. gareth smiled. "isn't he dating your sister though? what are you gonna do about that?" gareth asked, confusion laced in his voice. "i dunno, i've been thinking, but nothing ever comes to mind" will shrugged and turned on the radio, faint music playing.

"um, have you tried making him jealous?" gareth recommended. will thought about it. he had tried to date sydney from his english class, she broke up with him a day later due to 'feeling embarrassed with him' and he tried dating kloey from his p.e. didn't work out either. "yes" will responded as he tried to think of it more, he did try and hold hands with kloey at the skating rink in front of him, but she tripped and fell and broke her nose, so she had to leave then.

"okay, i have a play, and do not take this in a weird way, but what if we fake date? you know, to get his blood boiling?" gareth shrugged at the idea of fake dating will. will thought about the idea, it wasn't a bad one, and gareth and will hadn't exactly met super duper recently, so it wouldnt be entirely weird. "sure, i'll give you twenty if you do it" will bargains.

"woah seriously? i offered to do it for free, but i'll take the twenty" gareth laughs. "i'm messing with you, i'll happily do it for free, but there is one rule" gareth stops the car in the middle of the empty road. will slowly looks over at gareth as the silence gets blocked out my rain. "hm?"

"we can't fall in love"

"i pinkie promise i wont"