Chapter #7

Me and Nate are running away from the security guard so he doesn't find out that we skipped class. We're trying to run fast, but also as quiet enough, so that no one can hear us. Right now we are hiding in an empty classroom and thinking about our next strategy. *In my opinion, as crazy as it may sound, my locket has something in common with the one in the painting, maybe they're even the same.*

Tired from running, I decide to sit on one of the empty seats and think about the whole situation, in peace. At the same time, Nate sits down, right next to me.

"Don't worry, they won't find out." Nate says, smiling at me.

"I sure hope so, this is not the first time I ditched class." I reply.

"I know, but I understand how dear this necklace is to you." he continues.

"Thanks for helping me! You don't have to do any of this, yet you're still here with me!" I look at him, with gratitude.

In that very moment, we hear the classroom door slam open. I turn towards it and see Steven walk in, with an angry expression written on his face.

"What are you both doing here!? You're supposed to be in class?" Steven shouts at us.

"How did you know, we were here? Did someone tell you?" I ask, defensively.

"No, of course not! I searched for you, everywhere! Do you want to get detention?" he runs his hand, through his hair.

"Well, why do you even care? It's none of your business anyways." Nate replies.

"Guess what!? It's not your business, either! Get out, Nate!" Steven yells, at him.

"Why should I?" Nate gets up, from his seat.

"Please, go outside. We'll talk about it, later." I say, ending up alone in the room, with Steven.

"Come on, let's go." he tries, to drag me out of the room.

"No Steven! What is your problem? Can't you see I'm trying to find something?" I say, looking at him, straight in the eyes.

"We all know, about your lost necklace, alright!? But you shouldn't skip your classes, because of it." he blurts out, letting go of my hand.

"I think, that it's better if you just stay out of my personal problems, Steven!" I say, walking out of the room.

*What a weirdo! Why can't he understand that this is the only memory I have, left of my grandfather? It's not fair, I have to find it at all cost!* Thinking intently, I don't pay attention to my surroundings and fall flat on my face. It hurts so bad and I'm struggling to get up. At that moment, however, I manage to see someone, who offers me a hand, so I can get up. *That's Jim! What is he doing, here?*

"Thank you!" I say, trying to get up.

"You should be more careful. Also, why aren't you in class?" he asks, looking at me, with confusion.

"You probably already know. What about you?" I say, dusting off, my knees.

"I'm on my way, to deliver these papers. Also, you need to rest, already! You should feel lucky, that I found you instead of Jacob." Jim complains.

"Why, what would've happened then?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

"He would've probably exposed you to the headmistress. He's her right-hand man after all," Jim explains, calmly.

"Not surprised, to be honest. Anyways, you're right. I'll go rest, see you next class." I leave, trying to walk normally.

-Time skip-

As I'm walking back to my room after the last class ends, I see Jacob talking on his phone, in the distance. Not that I want to eavesdrop again, but I can't help it, because it all seems so interesting. He suddenly ends his conversation, so I can't hear anything, but I still manage to follow him after all. I see him heading towards his personal office, which is right next to the student council's. He walks in and I slightly open the door, so I can watch him, from a far. *I pray, he doesn't see me.*

There I see him going towards a safe, hidden in the corner of the room. Opening it, he puts an envelope inside, but apart from that, the other thing I see in there, is my own necklace. *I knew it! Jacob has stolen, my necklace! How could he?* I hesitate, whether or not I should go in, but as I'm thinking, I hear a voice behind me say:

"Clara? What are you doing, here?" I feel shivers, down my spine.