06

Melo 

Melo 

After a long day at work I was so excited to go home. I had a meeting with the superintendent about how proud he was of the attendance rate going up and the large amount of students from my school going to outside events. I was so happy that my hard work was being appreciated and recognized because the principal at our school? a total bitch. I was supposed to go out with Akyrah tonight and since yesterday was my last day on my cycle I was finally feeling up to do anything. Plus, I missed August. I was gonna need a night out to take my mind off what he said earlier. Putting up a fight? For me? He had to just be joking. I couldn't wait to see what Kyrah thought. I picked up my phone deciding to call my mama. I hadn't spoken to her in a while which was normal but I did miss her.

"Hello."

"Hey mama."

"Hi baby. I miss you. How has work been?"

"Work has been work sadly. How are you?"

"I'm okay baby. Me and your dad just been laying here getting old." I cringed at the sound of my dad. He is the reason I am distant from my family. He made my life a living hell growing up; mines and my moms. Her entire family disowned her for staying with him when I was little. He was abusive not just to her but me. He didn't slow down until I was a junior in high school but by that time I basically lived with my granny. He made me want to be a social worker. All the ones I encountered didn't recognize that he was abusive so I was forced to stay until I was 16 and bought my own car. 
"I didn't ask about him. Anyways are you free this weekend? Want to get brunch?"

"Yes baby I would love to. Can I invite your brother?"

"Sure mama." The history between me and my brother was probably even worst. I hated him even more. My mama meant the world to me though and I know the distance between me and them was hard especially because we were in the same city. I try not to think about my brother because even thinking about what he did to me make me sick. 

" I love you mama I have to go." I hung up. A couple tears fell down my face and I quickly wiped them. I don't have time to be stuck in the past. I gotta keep going & I'm so close to peace. I got out the car walked out the door and went into the apartment. I took my shoes off at the door and sat my workbag and keys down just headed to my bed. I don't even feel like going out anymore. That call just triggered a lot of bad memories which is why I don't talk to them. 

Surprisingly, my room door was closed which was weird. I never close my door, it just be me here. I turned around, went to the hallway closet and got my gun. Not today Satan, not today. I walked back to my room and slowly opened the door. I was confused. It was candles and roses on the ground. There was a lingerie set on the bed with some sex toys. August is too much. I picked up the card.