Catlynn Rocks Out

Book: Adopted by Heathers Sequel
Year: 2019
Catlynn's Age: 17
(AN: The song Catlynn sings in this is My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark by Fall Out Boy!)

"Come sign up for Open Mic Night!" my music teacher said as the bell rang and my class was frantically packing up. "Last Friday of the month in the auditorium, Catlynn, should I expect your name on the list? You've been performing at these all year."

"I'll have to check with my mom, but I think so!" I said. "Given...everything that happened, I won't be able to drive myself there, but I'm sure someone in my family will be happy to give me a ride." 

My music teacher smiled and wrote something down on his paper, then I noticed something in the corner.

"Do you think you could teach me guitar? I know we did a unit on it in general music freshman year, but I've always wanted to learn how to play." I said. 

"Oh, of course, Catlynn! Are you available after school or during lunch?" my music teacher asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure that would be fine. But please, whatever you do, don't tell my mom or anyone in my family. I want to keep it a surprise until Open Mic." I said. 

"You and the surprise performances. I'm sure your family is lucky to have such a talented performer in their family."

"Well, they are all performers, so-" I laughed.

"True. Well, I have to head to a meeting and I'm sure your mom or someone is waiting for you, so I'll see you tomorrow in class?"

"Yeah! Thank you!"

__________

Three Weeks Later

"I'm still getting used to you dragging a guitar into school." my girlfriend, Red Ashley, said on the day of Open Mic Night. Sure, no one could fully learn how to play a guitar in three weeks, but I was after school every single day for two hours until the disguise of "saxophone extra help." And I couldn't wait to see my family's shocked faces when they saw me plucking out some sort of a riff on an electric guitar.

"Yeah. I just brought my saxophone to school for no reason so my mom didn't get suspicious of me. Hey, at least it's one less thing I have to bring in on Monday." I said. 

Red giggled and said, "Hey, I'll be in the audience tonight. If Evan brings a video camera, I'll let you know."

"I've known him for almost five years now, of course he's going to bring a video camera." I said, laughing as Red and I got set up for Open Mic in the music room. "But he's probably going to drop it on the floor once he hears what I'm doing."

Red laughed and gave me a hug. "Come on, Kit, we gotta get out there. It's time for you, Catlynn McLemore, to rock out."

___________

"Now it's time for our next act, a song from senior Catlynn McLemore. Catlynn's a familiar face in our music department, she has been since she was a freshman." my music teacher said, winking at me as he did my introduction.

"Yeah Sunshine!" I heard Jess yell from the audience. 

I giggled as Red gently pushed me out onto the stage, and I swear I heard someone in my family mutter "What's the guitar on the chair for? Is someone playing backup for her?"

Little do you know, guys...little do you know.

I smiled and grabbed the microphone, ignoring the screeching feedback as I started to speak.

"Hi guys! I'm Catlynn, and if you've been coming to these Open Mics all year, you know that I often sing musical theatre songs, or One Direction, my favorite band, or do little pieces from dance routines. But since this is my last Open Mic before I graduate, I thought I'd do something a little bit...different. And while I usually hate my family recording me and making a fool out of themselves, Evan, wherever you are, I'd suggest you get that camera out. This is something y'all won't want to miss." I said. 

I slung the guitar over my shoulder and I heard Elle gasp.

"It's time for Catlynn McLemore to rock out." I said, starting to play the opening riffs. It was a little sloppy, I'll admit that, but the looks on my family's faces were priceless.

"Be careful making wishes in the
D-dark, can't be sure when they've hit their
Mark, and besides in the mean, mean time
I'm just dreaming of tearing you apart
I'm in the de-details with the
Devil, so now the world can never get me on my
Level, I just gotta get you out the cage,
I'm a young lover's rage 
Gonna need a spark to ignite
But my songs know what you did in the dark"

This was honestly the most fun I was having at any Open Mic night. I even found myself getting down on my knees to do some of the guitar riffs, I knew I would end up with some sort of burn on them by the end of the night but I really didn't care. This was a side of myself I didn't know I had, and it was so much fun exploring it.

"All the writers keep writing what they
Write, somewhere another pretty vein just
Dies, I've got the scars from tomorrow and I wish you could see 
That you're the antidote to everything, except for me
A constellation of tears on your
Lashes, I'll burn everything you love then burn the ashes-
"

And now came the line that made me want to sing this song in the first place. And I looked right at Elle when singing it.

"In the end, everything collides, my childhood spat back out the monster that you see.

Because it was true. As I was listening to the song for the first time and learning the chords, I realized that my childhood did make me the way I am. Both pre-adoption and post-adoption. 

"My songs know what you did in the dark
So light 'em up, up, up, light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up, I'm on fire!"

____________

That was the biggest applause I've ever received in my life. Oh my God.

I giggled as I gave the guitar I borrowed back to my music teacher and ran out into the lobby to find my family.

"SUNSHINE!" I heard, and Elle was waving from the corner. I ran up to her and she gave me a big hug, giggling a little.

"I- I had no idea you could do that! Who taught you how to play guitar?" Elle asked.

"My music teacher. I got the idea a month ago and here I am." I said sheepishly.

"Woah, only three weeks?" Ryan asked. "You're talented, Sunshine."

"Thanks." I said. "Well, that was that. Last Open Mic of the year." I said. 

Elle laughed and gave me a side hug. "I'm so proud of you, Sunshine, now where's Red? I know she was performing tonight, I wanted to wish her a good job. Do you want to see if she wants to join us for ice cream tonight to celebrate?"

"Yeah!"