Act IV, Part IX

Megumi's Side (April 14, 2:30 am)

Megumi lay awake in bed, having tried her best to fall asleep for the last few hours. Her mind was racing, and even if she closed her eyes and tried not to think of anything, her thoughts would ultimately come back to the plan that Chisato had explained to everyone during dinner.

Once morning came, she and Daryl would leave for the Sunshine district using the sewers. With Trevor's help, they'd find some way into the Innocenti bank headquarters, then steal the ruby necklace under their noses. Instead of going to all the trouble to come back to the Morning Star district, they'd transfer the data using a portable terminal, allowing Trevor to complete the code without having all three necklaces on hand.

There were a lot of holes in the plan, but that was the best they could do with what they had. If Raven could get out of the Morning Star district, they could count on his help, but he was surprisingly having a hard time getting away from the police. That uncertainty didn't help Megumi take her mind off things, and so she found herself unable to sleep.

Eventually, she decided to get out of bed and take a walk around the penthouse for a bit. She exited out into the hall, which was darkened except for a few ambient lights. From the look of it, everyone was asleep. She glanced momentarily into Daryl's room to see him snoring away. Well, it was nice to know somebody was getting to sleep.

She continued down until she arrived at the large room where Chisato's bed was located. The door was ajar, so she decided to take a peek inside. The light of Trevor's computers were illuminating the room, but it seemed like he himself was asleep. Megumi glanced over at Chisato's direction, but she couldn't tell she was asleep due to the veil covering her bed.

Do you need something?

Megumi nearly jumped out of her skin as Chisato's weary voice echoed within her mind. Megumi pushed open the door and crept into the room awkwardly. "Sorry. I thought you were asleep."

I don't sleep much nowadays, Chisato sighed. Is there anything you'd like to speak to me about? I'll hear you out.

Megumi walked up to the bed, taking care to not wake Trevor up. Eventually, she was standing in front of Chisato, unsure over what to say.

What's the matter?

"This might not be the best time to bring it up, but... the truth is, I'm still not 100% certain that you're my mother. I mean, I haven't even seen your face yet."

Chisato giggled. I'm afraid seeing my face now wouldn't help you much either.

"I know. But some kind of proof would certainly set me at ease."

Chisato was silent. Then, a drone buzzed out from behind the veil and handed something to Megumi. Megumi couldn't make it out immediately in the light, but she soon realized that it was a wedding ring.

That was the ring your father proposed to me with. We never made it to marriage, but I was so happy at the time. It's still my greatest memento of him.

Megumi inspected the ring in the pale light of the computer monitors. In the back of the ring were etched the names Sosuke and Chisato. It seemed like the real deal, though she couldn't deny that she could have simply found the ring. No, that was silly. How would she have come across all this information about the Hayasakas and Matsuokas in the first place? That was something only high-level executives in the families could know. She was being overly suspicious for no reason.

She sighed inwardly. Perhaps it was because she was born in the slums, but she had a hard time trusting people. From her experience, everyone was out for themselves, and a trusting person was merely a gullible patsy. But maybe she should allow herself to put her trust in someone just this once.

"Thank you. I can't say all my doubts are cleared, but I'll believe you for the time being."

That's all I can ask.

Megumi handed back the ring to the drone, which disappeared behind the veil once again. An awkward silence fell, and Megumi searched for any topic to keep the conversation going.

"My father... what was my father like?"

How much do you know already? Chisato asked.

"Not much. A man named Masao told me a little about him, but that's all."

I see. Chisato's seemed a bit happy to hear Masao's name. So he's still around, is he?

"Yeah. He told me everything about my family. He doesn't know you're still alive."

I couldn't tell anyone. You understand.

Megumi nodded.

He and your father, Sosuke, they used to be as close as brothers. When times were peaceful, the two were always joined at the hip, and even when we had to go on the run, Masao didn't hesitate to lend a hand. I'm eternally grateful to him.

"Masao seemed to think of him as a brother."

Sosuke was that kind of man. At first glance, he seemed like an airheaded buffoon, but in truth he was probably the kindest, most thoughtful man I ever knew. People found themselves drawn to him, and he made friends fast. He never got a chance, but I know he would have been a good father.

Silence fell again as Megumi mulled over what Chisato told her about her father. She didn't really have a much better idea of what he was like, but she still felt a little closer to him. As she absent-mindedly stared at the veil, she noticed that Chisato seemed to be looking at her, as if waiting for her next question. Megumi didn't really have anything else to ask, but she didn't feel like she should simply leave just yet. She gathered up her courage and answered the one question that was on her mind.

"I'm not sure I should ask, but... what will you do once you get your revenge?"

What do you mean?

"I mean, the city is going to devolve into chaos if things go the way you want them to, right? So what will you do once the truth is out?"

To be honest, I don't know what I will do. I'm barely a human as I am now, merely a ghost clinging stubbornly to life. I will likely die once my vengeance has been achieved.

"Is that for certain?"

Possibly. I have no idea how much longer I have to live. I am on life support; I cannot leave this bed that sustains me. Even if I were to continue living, I doubt that I could live longer than one or two more years.

Megumi didn't know what to say. It had already been made clear how bad Chisato's condition was, but she didn't know that it was this bad.

Don't feel bad, Megumi. If I'm honest, I still don't think I should be involving you in all this. I wanted you to live a peaceful life away from all of this scheming.

"It's a bit too late for that. Besides, my life isn't all that peaceful anyway."

I suppose you're right.

"Can I ask you something?"

Yes?

"Can you tell me more about the past and the time you spent with my father?" Megumi felt her face heat up as she asked. "I just... want to know what my parents were like."

Chisato was silent for a bit, but through the silhouette, Megumi could swear she could see a smile on her face.

Of course I can. I'll try not to keep you up all night.