Chapter 11

I woke up later than usual the next day, in my defence I had worked well into the night and deserved some rest. 

A knock on my door interrupted my stretch and I slowly made my way over to open it revealing a smiling Steve, the sleep magically left my body as I stood up straight staring up at the man, unintentionally admiring him. 

"Want to go for a run Sam's still asleep?" he asked and I snapped back into reality "Uh yeah I'm just gonna get dressed quickly," I said as I closed the door.

I took a deep breath "fucking feelings" I mumbled as I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and clean my face. 

I quickly put on some running shorts and a sports bra before pulling on a define jacket and zipping it up. 

I walked out of the room to Steve who was still patiently waiting in the hallway "Ready" I said and he smiled at me. 

We left from the back entrance and started with a slow jog and then into a run, I know he was much faster than me but he still kept at my side matching my pace, it was very sweet. 

As we ran we made casual conversation about anything and everything, it all felt so natural. 

We stopped for a little break and by now I was slightly sweaty, I pulled my hair into a ponytail and then groaned once I realised I forgot my hair tie. 

"What's wrong," Steve asked "I always forget to bring a hair tie and then I regret it every single time" I explained and he laughed at my forgetfulness. 

I couldn't deny the attraction I had towards him but I knew that I had to keep my emotions in check.

After our run, we made our way back to the hotel and parted ways. The hotel didn't have any room service so our breakfast was vending machine food, not the best choice but it was our only choice. 

Sam was awake now and the three of us hung out for the rest of the day, it's not like there was anything else we could do until we had to be back at the club. 

As we lounged in Sam's room, Steve suggested we play cards to pass the time. Sam, who was the resident expert in card games, quickly agreed and started shuffling the deck.

As we played, I couldn't help but steal glances at Steve, admiring his sharp features and the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled but I knew that getting involved with a coworker was a recipe for disaster, so I tried my best to push those thoughts aside.

We played for hours, taking breaks only to grab some snacks or use the bathroom. It was a rare moment of peace amidst the chaos of my job, and I found myself enjoying the company of my two teammates.

"I don't think I've ever had a day like this," I said picking up a card "It's nice"

"Fury has mentioned before you're basically a machine, all work no play" Sam said and I hit his arm showing my offence.

I shook my head, "Yeah, I guess I need to learn to take a break every once in a while"

"Oh my god let me set you up with someone" Sam said and I widened my eyes in surprise, Steve shot up from his slouched position all focused on Sam now.

"Oh I don't know" I said and he shook his head "No listen he's a good friend of Steve and me his name is James well Bucky and he's great" he started and I nodded trying to be polite.

"He's tall, brunette, even has a metal arm," Sam said and took his phone out to show me a picture. 

"I don't think she's Bucks type" Steve quickly said and I gave him an offended look, I wasn't going to pursue it but him saying that hurt my feelings a little. 

"Don't be silly she's hot, young, passionate and hardworking" Sam complimented before shoving his phone in my face, I grabbed it staring at the man on his phone, I bit my lip containing my smile "he is pretty attractive" I said looking at the gorgeous man.  

Steve felt a pang of jealousy in his heart as he watched me look at the picture of Bucky. He knew he had no right to feel that way, after all, he had no claim on me but he couldn't help the way he felt.

"Maybe, I'll think about it," I said, still staring at the picture "but let's put a pin in it for now,"

Sam nodded in agreement, and the conversation turned to other topics but Steve couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in his stomach. He knew he needed to get a grip on his feelings before they got out of control.

The clock turned to 8 pm quickly and I said bye to the boys as I had to start getting ready for work.

Steve walked out after me and I stopped as he closed the door behind himself he hesitated for a moment before speaking "Hey, listen about earlier I didn't mean to be rude about Bucky I just  don't want to see you get hurt."

I looked up at him, surprised "What do you mean?"

"I mean Bucky's been through a lot and he's just finally getting better I don't want him to unintentionally hurt you."

I smiled at him, touched by his concern "Thanks, Steve but I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself and who knows, maybe he's not even interested in me."

Steve chuckled, relaxing a little "Believe me, he'd be interested but if you say so just be careful, okay I don't want to see anything happen to you."

"I will," I promised, before slipping into my room and closing the door behind me.

I followed another makeup tutorial and curled my hair this time, I decided to not pick a two-piece this time to avoid any events like last night and opted for a short strapless navy dress with some nude heels. 

I put on my contacts and my earpiece and made my way to Steve's room grabbing my coat along the way. 

Sam was already in there waiting and I caught Steve doing a double-take at me but I thought nothing of it.

"Good luck tonight and be careful," Steve said to Sam and me, yet his eyes lingered on me. 

Sam and I walked out together ready to see what we could do today. As we made our way out, Sam asked, "You okay? You seem a little distracted."

I shrugged, trying to brush off the weird vibes I was getting from Steve. "Yeah, I'm fine just a little tired, I guess."

Sam didn't seem convinced but didn't press further, instead, he turned to me and said, "You know, I still think you should give Bucky a chance he's a great guy."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "I'll think about it, Sam."

He laughed, "Okay, okay just trying to help a brother out" and then he backed away a little as we got closer to the club.

Here goes nothing.

☆☆☆

i'm a big girl i can handle myself 💁🏽‍♀️