22 - proud

You were sitting on boulders, overlooking the camp. You cuddled yourself further into the thick jacket you were wearing, enjoying the warmth it radiated.

Over the last couple of months, you'd come to appreciate the calmness. Your life had been so stressful ever since Thomas came up in the box, a few minutes of silence were rare.

You were glad to be here, glad to know that you and your friends were finally safe. "I always knew we'd meet each other one day." Mary spoke up from behind you.

You turned around and smiled at her, gesturing her to sit down with you. "How is Brenda doing?" you asked, concerned for your new friend.

"Thomas' blood won't cure her, but it'll give her a couple of months." you nodded in response, looking down at the floor. "Can I ask you a question?" you asked.

"Of course."

"Did Thomas really betray WCKD because he loved me?" you asked. The thought of you being so lovesick you'd risk your life seemed crazy to you. On the other hand, you would do the same thing for Thomas now.

"I never knew for sure, it's what Thomas told me. It pained him to see you that way, so he betrayed them in order for them to send him up. Though, he was never entirely okay with his work. When you two look at each other, it's like you're the only people on the planet. That's something special."

"Thank you." you smiled at her. She smiled back at you before standing up and walking away. Soon, Newt, Minho and Fry joined you. Upon seeing all of them, you stood up and gave each of them a hug. You sat down next to Newt, your head placed on his shoulder.

After a while of comfortable silence, Thomas joined you. He pulled you close and kissed you before sitting down next to you.

"I wish Alby could have seen all this." Newt sighed, looking over the camp. "And Winston." Fry spoke, looking down sadly. "And Chuck." Thomas mumbled.

"He'd be proud of you, you know, Tommy." Newt said. "All of them would." you smiled at your boyfriend, making him nod in response. Fry looked over towards Aris.

"Hey, Aris!" he called out to the boy, who waved at him. "Hey, guys!" he exclaimed. "I kinda like that kid." Fry admitted. "Yeah, I still don't trust him, though." Minho chuckled, making all of you laugh.

"Hey, where's Teresa?" Thomas asked, now noticing she wasn't here. "She went up there." Newt explained, pointing towards a cliff. "I'm gonna go check up on her."

It was the last moments of peace you would have in a long time.