Chapter 10

THE snow drifted in giant flakes as they fell to the ground. The pale blue of the sky had gone, only to be replaced by shades of purple, grey and white, and the ferocity of the wind slapped at the little skin they had left exposed to the elements.

Oscar traipsed across the field as his boots sunk through the soft blanket. He pulled the jacket tighter around him and breathed into the palms of his hand as he looked around at the emptiness. He was careful not to wander too far to the right – the lake had frozen over and the surface was smooth and glasslike but was formidable all the same. He knew that all it took was one wrong step and that would be it.

It was not unlike him volunteer himself for these missions only to be caught in a freak showing on nature's power. She was flexing her full force this very morning and despite the strong pangs for warmth and a hot chocolate, he well knew that the place wouldn't scout itself. And if there was anything that could make him feel better, it was that he was not alone.

His partner trailed a way behind, his voice carried in the vicious tendrils of the wind.

"This infernal cold. The quicker that we can find it the bet­– OW! That was a stump. Found it!"

Oscar turned around, his lips breaking into a smile behind the garter. He stared out from behind the lens of the goggles and watched as his partner fumbled across the field, occasionally stumbling with flaying arms as he attempted to regain his balance. He was no outdoorsman, that was for sure.

"Oh, what a glorious day, Edward. Thank the heavens!" he bellowed as loud as his lungs would let him.

Edward looked up from the ground and shot him a crude sign with his fingers. Even beneath the wraps of cloth, Oscar knew that there was a scowl on the man's face. He was only here because of Oscar's demands and constant begging. He would make okay with him later over a beverage or two next to a fireplace back at the manor.

But then the world fell silent.

The skin on the back of his neck crawled and he felt suddenly exposed to the world. His nose flared, and his alertness rode.

He stood still as he scanned the thicket of forest that skirted along the side of the field through the thin veil of falling snow.

Oscar was met with nothing in return.

The trees and their giant canopies continued to dance with the gale and the sound of rustling leaves echoed through the field.

They were alone.

Unable to shake the feeling, he turned to face his friend who was stabbing his feet, one at a time, through the thick, white blanket. Edward's back was at an angle, his head down, as he combatted the resistance of the wind.

"Do you feel that?" Oscar called.

His friend paused in his tracks, raising his head. His neck swivelled as he slowly took inventory of his surroundings. Edward dropped the robe of his jacket and his hair whipped in the wind. He pulled down his garter and slowly turned his attention back to Oscar.

"Something's not right," he confirmed. A moment passed between them. Edward bore his eyes into Oscar's his lips forming nothing but a tight line.

We have company, the man's voice spoke in Oscar's mind. I don't want to alert you but­–

Edward pounced on his feet. Despite his struggles through the snow, he moved with speed and expert agility. Before Oscar could blink behind the lens of his goggles, the man had appeared next to him.

Oscar blinked as black, viscous liquid oozed downwards on Edward's arm.

Something large slumped towards Edward, remaining still; lifeless. Edward's hand remained clenched around the hilt of a weapon, the blade of which glinted as it protruded out of the creature's back.