Dinner With Friends

"Where is he?" Dean asked as he craned his neck and looked around the restaurant.

"Would you calm down!" Kyle hissed with a playful smile. "You're making me nervous!"

"You don't think he's standing us up, do you?"

Kyle rolled his eyes. "I highly doubt that. It's not like his social schedule is booming. Besides, Steve told me Mark pushed him to do it."

"The three of them are hanging out tonight, by the way," Dean said. When Kyle raised his eyebrows in question Dean smiled. "All of the tops. Thor said they're going to drink Asgardian liquor and play cards."

Kyle sighed. "I guess I know what I'm in for later." He then looked at Dean and smirked. "Speaking of which- spill the beans. You only told me that you guys made up. Details?"

Dean smiled warmly at the recent memory of his reconciliation with Thor. "He stayed for lunch. Which is so weird to say, considering it's his house too. And I just sort of melted. He's not perfect. He says and does the wrong things sometimes. But he loves me and I love him."

"So you had crazy good makeup sex, right?"

Dean blushed. "Yeah, basically."

Kyle sighed. "I love a happy ending."

Dean's phone vibrated and he looked down at the screen to see that Thor had texted him.

I hope you have fun tonight. I love you.

Shortly after replying to him, Dean's mom called.

"Everything okay?" Dean asked.

"Oh, everything is fine. The boys are watching Robin Hood with your father while I fix up some dinner."

"Make sure Modi gets his cough medicine..."

"Dean, you act like I didn't raise an armload of babies. While saving the world."

Dean rolled his eyes. "Sorry. Force of habit."

"They look a lot like you," Rosie sighed warmly. "I wish we had a picture of Thor when he was a baby. I'd love to compare."

"All of the paintings of him were destroyed when his bitch of a sister invaded Asgard. But I'm told he was a beautiful baby."

"I'm sure. Anyway, you boys have fun tonight. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay. Mom?"

"Uh-huh?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Dean."

Dean felt a surge of emotion churning through him. Perhaps it was his recent reconciliation with Thor. But for some reason he felt especially emotional at that moment. "I mean it, mom. I love you more than you know. You're one of the strongest people in my life. And you've always been there for me. I wouldn't be who I am today without you."

Rosie sniffled a little. "Stop it, you're making me cry!" She groaned. Then, in a sweet and affectionate voice she said, "you're my boy. You know that?"

"Yes, ma'am."

After hanging up, Dean scanned the restaurant one more time and noticed Taylor standing near the hostess station. Catching Kyle's attention, he waved at Taylor. The redhead looked as if he was briefly entertaining the thought of turning to leave. Dean could see the conflict on his face as he slowly came to the decision to join them.

"I'm glad you came," Dean said as he and Kyle stood and offered Taylor a handshake.

"Well," Taylor sighed, sitting down. "Mark kind of made me." He smiled sheepishly at them. "Not that I was, like, unappreciative of this. It's just...it's been a lot to deal with."