𝟏𝟓

the following day we found ourselves dressed in our smartest clothes surrounding the board members. the varsity team stood opposite us, an evil smile adorned on ricks face.

"god he better make it here," i whispered to charlie as the meeting was supposed to end in 10 minutes.

"he'll make it don't worry," he reassured me.

i just nodded at him before gripping les' hand tighter as he lifted them to his mouth and planting a kiss on them.

"we'll be okay," he whispered to me.

"yeah we will be," i whispered back placing my chin on his shoulder planting a kiss on his temple.

"do i have a motion for reconsideration?" the dean asked as the board members shook their heads.

"i'm sorry coach, but unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

"told you not to worry," rick laughed.

"you leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney," coach said as bombay walked through the door, me and charlie high fiving with smirks on our faces.

"boom," i spoke.

"you did this?" connie acted shocked.

"it's got charlie and athena written all over it," fulton joked.

"dean buckley, members of the board. as counsel for coach orion and the freshman hockey team, i'm here today to set forth your legal options so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned."

"mr bombay. this isn't a legal proceeding." the dean tried to shoot him down.

"not yet, but i can assure you that it will be. do you mind?" he asked as the dean took his briefcase off of him while bombay pulled out a notebook.

"these scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients, and acceptance by the ducks. they cannot be voided except for cause which, i guarantee you, you have none. should you decide to pursue their cancellation, i will slap you with an injunction. i will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. and i will collect damages. i will win. because i am very, very good. you know why i'm so good? because i had a good education. you gave it to me. and you're gonna give it to these kids."

"he is good," coach muttered to us.

"just getting started," charlie replied.

"now some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these ducks don't belong at eden hall. let me tell you, you are dead wrong. these are remarkable young people. you give them their full shot, and i promise you they will succeed not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as-well. these people are my friends, and i know what they can do. accordingly, i demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit, and for your own." bombay finished as the board members began whispering to each other.

"i move that the scholarships be reinstated," a woman spoke up as a smile grew on my face.

"is there a second?"

a man raised his hand.

"all in favour?"

and suddenly all their hands were up.

"scholarships reinstated!"

"slay, i guess?"  i said with a smile as les pulled me into a hug and we started cheering.

"for hans guys," bombay said to me and charlie as he pulled us into a hug.

"i've got some business in chicago but i'll be back soon," bombay told us as we walked out the room. "athena can i speak to you real quick?"

"yeah of course! what's up?" i asked as we talked in a quiet corridor.

"i need to you to speak to dean for me, i'm going to convince him to come back but i think hearing from the team will really motivate him."

"yeah of course i can do that coach! i'll do it tonight!"

"thank you athena, here's his number, the best of luck to you!" he said handing me a piece of paper before leaving.

i left him to go and find the rest of the group to find them having a stare off with varsity.

"congratulations, on destroying our school," rick said to us.

"hey look it's our school too," charlie replied.

"it's everyone school you stupid jock!" linda said to him.

"no, it'll never be your school. don't you get it? you're our own little affirmative action, brought in for colour to entertain us. but you couldn't even do that! your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong."

"kiss my ass riley," i said with a smirk.

"you'll never be anything more than a bunch of rejects here on a free ride." cole chimed in.

"free ride? look at you, rich boy! mummy and daddy gave you everything, huh?" russ questioned.

"hey, jv - varsity games on friday. then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. then maybe you'll leave you on your own. it's be the only honourable thing to do."

"you know we're gonna hurt you," cole followed up.

"listen you guys has an unfair advantage last time. you had one of us: banksie."

"oh, well keep him. he never had the heart of a warrior anyway."

"hey, buff, one more thing. after we beat you, the warriors die and the ducks fly." russ said to varsity.

"hey, anything you say, loser. hmmm?"

"hey riley!" i shouted as he walked away.

"what bates?"

"don't forget your clown costume on friday! you're gonna need it," i said with a smirk as he gave me the evil eyes.

"good move, russ, athena. make em' even madder. charlie we gotta do something man," les said.

"yeah you're right. we gotta get to work." charlie said as we followed him out.

i spotted my dad running over to him engulfing him in a hug.

"look at my little girl, all grown up!" my dad said with a smile.

"don't be sappy dad! i've got a lot of growing up to do still."

"let's go home." he smiled at me.

home. me and my dad. just us two.