Part 2: chapter 4

1920's

I paced around Dumbledores office as he sat at his desk reading something.  A storm raged outside making waves of rain hit the window. The only real source of light in the room was a few candles.

"You're pacing." He sighed.

"I'm aware."

"Cerus said he'd come get you once they head to the cemetery. You have to learn more patients."

"I feel useless." I admitted.

"For obvious reasons I don't want Grindelwald to have a lot of access to you. I've told you how persuasive he can be."

"I didn't fall for Ranrok or Rookwood. I'm sure I can ignore some deranged wizard." I finally sat at the chair on the other side of the desk and watched him write.

He dipped the quill in ink and glanced at me before writing again, "don't ask..."

"Why don't wizards pens? Pens are a thing now aren't they?"

Dumbledore sighed that I asked anyways but I was only trying to distract myself. "I'm not sure." That was the same answer he always gave.

There was a pop behind me and I stood up quickly to see Cerus out of breath. "Ava," he said in between pants, "we are going to need your magic as well as mine I feel."

I nodded and walked over putting a hand on his shoulder. "I'll be back, Dumbledore."

"I sure hope so."

_____

1992

"I was wondering when you might come visit again." The old bearded man smiled making me recognize him instantly.

"Hopefully I'm not too late." I smiled back.

Dumbledore glanced at Sebastian who stood awkwardly next to me.

"You must be Mr. Sallow."

"I am."

"Ava spoke a great deal of you when she stayed with me for a time. I always assumed I'd meet you at one point or another."

Sebastian blushed a bit as Dumbledore motioned for us to come sit at the chairs by his desk while he sat in his seat.

"What can an old man like me do for two young folks like yourself?" He said. His voice was now softer and sounded kinder then when we was younger.

"I apologize I didn't come back to help you." I said softly to him.

He reached across the desk and patted my hand softly. "Well you never know. You still could. But if you don't I won't blame you. That last battle was particularly nasty. But I doubt it would top you all stopping that spell Grindlewald let loose in the Paris cemetery."

He and I both laughed. Dumbledore would make me play over that fight over and over because of the ring of fire Nicolas had us cast. He was slightly bummed he wasn't there I think. I wasn't even there and he made me repeat what Cerus had told me.

"The what?" Sebastian asked.

Dumbledore pulled his hand back and opened a drawer on his desk pulling out a few blue vials. He handed them to Sebastian softly.

"You kept those?" I asked.

"You were so excited to tell me about all the trouble you would get into with Newt or Cerus I felt bad just discarding them."

I looked around at all his dusty trophies and artifacts, "I can tell."

"When you get to be over 100 you start to reminisce a lot."