Bessie The Snail / Breakout Star

Previously on Calamitous Intervention

Previously, Luz found a Coastal Kill-a-pillar and named it Stringbean. Everything went well at first until her pet entered its next stage in life and tried to eat the Plantars. She stopped it and would've perished if it weren't for Stringbean saving her, before leaving. Four days later, she met Felicia and Ivy, and then Hop Pop basically forced Sprig into marrying Ivy for greedy purposes, but Luz set things right and Sprig now has his eye on somebody else.

Chapter Eleven - Bessie The Snail / Breakout Star

Like most other days, it was beautiful outside in Wartwood. Luz, Sprig, Polly, and Hop Pop rode on Bessie, their transport snail. Hop Pop sighed contentedly. "A leisurely outing with Bessie. Why, we could really go anywhere. Do anything."

This excited Sprig, who chimed in. "Ooh, ooh! Can we get Swamp Slushies? They have new flavors."

Hop Pop chuckled, which sounded like a confirmation, but instead, he said, "Nope." Sprig's smile faded as he rested his hand on his face, realizing this trip wasn't going to be exciting in the least.

"Can we go off-road?" Polly asked hopefully, pulling the old frog's eyelids back. "Do some crazy stunts?"

"Double no!" Hop Pop replied, and Polly, just like Sprig, was disappointed. Luz noticed this and nudged him with her arm. "What's so bad about having a little fun with your family?"

"This is fun," the old frog told her. "Nothin' better than enjoying a nice day out with good ol' Bessie."

"You talk about Bessie a lot," Luz noted. "How long have you had her?"

"I've had her for a very long time," Hop Pop explained. "Too bad I'm the only one who can drive her. I've been tryin' to teach this guy for years." He pointed his thumb toward Sprig.

"It's true," the frog boy confirmed, not really interested in the topic. Luz tapped her chin, getting an idea. "Maybe I could learn to drive her. She's so adorable!"

The snail chirped in response, and as soon as they got back to the farm, the old frog tossed an enormous book onto a tree stump in front of Luz and Sprig. "Not before reading this, you ain't. This is Bessie's History. Before touching a snail's reins, you gotta know them. Feel their heartbeat next to yours and become one."

"That is a really big book," Luz muttered. "Well, I guess it's one way to pass the time."

Hop Pop raised an eyebrow, having expected some sort of resistance. "Just like that?" Luz nodded. "It can't be that bad. I've been wanting to learn more about this world. I've already read all of Maddie's spell books."

The old frog smiled. "Well, the sooner you get through it, the better." He walked toward Polly, who was playing in a puddle of mud and giggling. "Now if you'll excuse me, Polly's due for a wash." He picked up Polly, who was surprised. "No, no. Wait. No! I'll just get dirty again! You can't stop me! Do something, Luz!"

Hop Pop carried her into the house, closing the front door behind him. Luz picked up the book, finding it heavier than she expected it to be. Next to her was Sprig, who was lying on his stomach, studying a fly that's landed on his finger. "Well, good luck with that. Page five is as far as I got. Too much description, not enough plot."

"Maybe sometime I should introduce you to Monster Slayer Academia fanfiction," Luz told him, opening the book to the first page. "Wow, that is a lot of words."

"Told ya," the frog boy said, and she shrugged. "Well, then I'd better get started!" She opened the book to the first page and began reading, "It was an especially cold morning the day Bessie was brought into this world. The leaves had just changed color, and now I shall describe those leaves to you in great detail."