Chapter SEVENTY SIX - Dreams and Nightmares

Half an hour and two pairs of swollen lips later, I felt my eyes and head growing heavy. My chest was now pressed warmly against Sebastian's and I wrapped my arms around his torso, tucking my cheek just above his heart. The soft sound of Sebastian's chuckle reverberated around my ear and I felt his head tilt back against the roof, hand pressing against my back. 

If the warmth of his body and the relaxing pattern of his thumb rubbing against my shirt wasn't enough to lull me to sleep, his quiet humming was. I didn't recognize the tune but my mind threaded it through my memories, tying them to visions of Feldcroft.

The leaves were back on the trees in gorgeous yellows, browns and golds. I had been meandering around the town square, letting my boots kick up dirt and pebbles as I made my way towards the Sallow home. Stones, mortar and clay climbed high to the roof, vines entwined around the corners and resting lazily on window sills. 

Sweet giggles and steady laughter drifted up as I approached.

Ominis was sitting in a rickety wood rocking chair outside, Anne sat in his lap with one arm thrown around his shoulder. Her other hand was entwined in his as he traced it lazily over a braille book in their lap. She tipped her forehead to his and he was smiling happily. 

"And this, says I love you." His voice shivered at the words, air heavy and cool breeze nothing but a whisper. 

Anne paused for a moment, genuine disbelief flaming against her cheeks before a familiar grin crept over them. The dark circles under her eyes were gone, frail figure now healthy and strong and the layers upon layers of clothing and blankets I had always expected to see her in, nowhere to be found.

She ducked her head back, pressing her lips to the shell of his ear and whispering something I couldn't hear.

Ominis' brows lifted ever so slightly and his pale eyes began to water, bottom lip shaking as he smiled.

My skin prickled with a familiar sense of being watched and my eyes were drawn away from the couple to the large tree to my right.

Sebastian was leaning his shoulder against it, grinning at his sister and best friend, arms crossed along with his ankles. His brown trousers cinched in at his waist with a tiny gold belt, white long sleeve shirt rolled mid-way up his forearm and chest covered in a deep green sweater vest. His hair was mussed and tousled from the breeze, cheeks bright red from the nip of the air.

My heart swelled at the sight of him.

The pure happiness across his face something I had never seen from him and I was reminded that this was indeed a dream.

My Sebastian always wore a tinge of pain just under his freckles.

As if the realization had enraged my dreams, the door to the home boomed once before slamming open. I braced for the wrath of Solomon's fists and words but in its place, stepped out two tall adults. The woman was clad in a casual blue plaid dress, darker blue jacket with puffed shoulders pulled tight across the top and hugging her neck. The man wore a dark brown suit with far too many gold buttons up the center. His mustache framed a deep frown and as my eyes drifted upwards I recognized their piercing blue hues.

My father. 

And the woman,

my mother.

I stumbled backwards, breath shooting from my lungs as quickly as if I had just been punched in the gut. I was vaguely aware of Sebastian as he took a worried step toward me, clutching my elbow in attempts to hold me upright.

"Atley, dear. What ever is the matter?"

My lips trembled as I listened to my mother's voice for the first time in years.

Clear as day and glassy as the air around us.

"Hey kiddo?"

My father's deep articulated speech crept under my heart and I clutched my chest, falling into Sebastian's arms as the tears began to fall.

My mother moved toward me but was stopped in her place, hands beginning to tremble before she clutched madly at her throat. My father frantically wrapped his arms around her and eyes wildly flicking back to me.

"Atley!"

I couldn't control my rapid breaths, chest tight.

"Atley-" My father choked on his words, large fingers clutching his own throat as his arms dropped from my mother.

I watched in fear as they both crumbled to their knees at my feet. 

Time slowed.

Breeze cut.

Memories ate.

Heart decaying.

A scream from my right ripped my eyes away to the little rocking chair. Ominis was clutching Anne whose teeth were bared in pain. Tears streamed down his cheeks as his shoulders shook. The book they had been reading fallen to their feet, pages crushed under its own weight.

It was like watching the Boggart of Anne all over again. Her skin clung to her bones, her eyes sinking and cheeks losing all color

as she withered away to nothing. 

I felt it before I saw him.

Sebastian was staring blankly at the neckline of his clothes, tugging off the sweater vest quickly and fiddling with the buttons of his shirt with shaking hands as the white fabric seeped and dripped deeply with red. Horror chilled my guts as the ovals just against his neck now covered his entire chest. 

His eyes flicked to mine with all the terror of a boy about to die.

He sputtered, blood trickling from his lips as he coughed and I grasped his hand desperately. 

His chest heaved.

Ominis was rocking himself back and forth, face now completely blank.

My parents bodies.

"ATLEY! DAMNIT WAKE UP!"

The night was entirely too bright as my eyes slammed open.

Chest jerking as I desperately sucked in air.

My body was shaking so badly I couldn't tell my hands from his.

The roof.

We were on the roof.

His eyes.

Sebastian's eyes were on me.

His hands.

Sebastian's hands were on either of my cheeks now, staring into my fuzzy vision.

"Atley. Atley, come on now sweetheart. You're awake. It was a dream."

He pulled my body against his so tightly my limbs couldn't physically shake anymore.

"I have you. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I've got you."

Slowly I righted my mind.

A dream.

A fucking nightmare.

"Atley, I swear to Merlin..."

Reluctantly, he loosened his grip on my body and I tilted my chin up to him.

His eyes jumped between mine uneasily.

"You looked so peaceful. I- I couldn't stop watching you. And then I feel like I blinked and you were- you were thrashing violently and screaming so I grabbed you."

"I'm so sorry Sebastian." My voice was gritty and hoarse.

He nodded and I noticed how rapidly his own chest was raising.

But then my eyes trailed down to his hands.

Skin painted in reds and purples.

"I wasn't going to let go of you."