7

I had just gotten the tremors in my hands to calm, the knot in my stomach to release, and my pulse to decelerate when I realized chemistry was coming to close.

I cringed when the bell rang.

Gah!

I would have to see Everett again. I couldn't decide if I was more humiliated over the accidental phone call or the ignored text. Just like last week, I procrastinated as I walked down the hall, letting every paranoid freshman pass me, pausing at each window, and searching for a teacher to catch up with me.

I suddenly remembered how excited I was to see Everett again before lunch, but now I wanted to avoid him like the plague.

Sure, I wanted to be friends again, I was elated with this new spark between us, but what did he think of me now?

I wanted to shrivel up in a ball and disappear into thin air when the text surfaced in my head. It had been too long to delete the message, but what else could I do at this point?

I had to pull myself from my thoughts when I realized I was opening the door to my English classroom. I was so distracted I didn't realize what I was doing! I was too used to my routine.

I stalled for a moment in the doorway, but before anyone—Everett— could stare back at me, I resumed. I fumbled a little over my own feet, finding my way to my desk.

I tried to conceal the realization on my face at that moment.

I shouldn't be worried about Everett, no, but about Damon.

My eyes went wide, I refused to turn even the slightest in his direction. In my peripheral view, I could see his blurred figure turned right towards me.

Uh oh.

I could already picture the foul smirk on his face. I started to fidget uncomfortably, the effect he had on me clear.

Mr. Lindsay was quick to dismiss the little attention we had spared him and ordered us to work on our projects for the period.

I cringed, recognizing the fact that Damon was on my left, Everett on my right, and yet I didn't dare risk a glance in either of their directions.

I wondered if Everett was thinking of the phone call too now, if he noticed the way Damon was staring at me, or the apprehension rolling off my body.

I wanted to ask Everett about the project, not in hopes of getting work done but to inch away from Damon.

I huffed a deep breath before I swiveled towards him, praying Damon wouldn't intervene.

"Everett," I began, my voice suddenly small. I feared he wouldn't hear me, but he peaked over his shoulder, his expression coddled in that same concerned look. My heart skipped a beat, and I wondered if he was concerned about me or irritated with me. "Did—do you—um, have any ideas for the project?"

His eyes flickered to Damon behind me, his eyebrows wrinkling even further.

"Cel, sit next to me," He murmured without taking his eyes off of Damon. I thought he was joking, I was sitting next to him, but he wrapped his arm around the back of my chair and pulled the connected desk towards his own.

Thank god the classroom floor was carpeted, it was silent as I scooted closer to him, gaining no one's attention. Most of the rowdy boys had the desks all scrambled and out of order on the daily, I was hoping we wouldn't seem out of the ordinary.

I clenched my teeth together hard when Everett leaned closer. I was taken aback, his scent enveloping me, his features hard as he left out the most quiet grunt, I wasn't sure if I imagined it.