Chapter 9

We ran towards the staircase and since I was in the lead, I yanked opened the door and ran up thre stairs.

Kai being the last almost got caught as a zombie grabbed the hem of his pants but he kicked it's hand away.

Shutting the door behind him, he sighed. Now at least we were away from the zombies but we couldn't go back into the mall either.

So we were stuck in the small, cramped and dark staircase. I sat down on a step and stared into space. I now regret leaving that house. At least it had electricity and enough space. I looked up at the body of my childhood best friend still at the top of the stairs.

"What now?", Steven asked Kai.

He was the only person spoke, even Kai stayed silent. Seeing him silent I felt totally hopeless. Through out the  entire time Kai was the person with all the plans no matter what. Without words or votes he had become our leader, but now, he had no idea what to do either.

"We'll wait till morning?", I suggested.

Again no response.

"Guys, anyone say something", I spoke almost as if I was pleading.

"What can we  even say Alexis!?", Katie yelled, I could hear the frustration in her voice.

"Anything, we'll think of a way to get out of here".

Kai who had his head in his hands, looked up, "At this rate we have no hope of getting out".

"That won't stop us from trying", I protested but he held up a hand telling me to be quiet.

He already looked pissed off so I stopped talking and leaned back against the wall.

Only minutes passed but if felt like hours. Soon I grew tired of waiting. I stood up and walked up the stairs. I was about to open the door but Kai stopped me.

"You know it too Alexis, we can't escape", he spoke his hold on wrist firm.

"It's fine, I'm gonna check it out anyway".

"You're not going out there by yourself", he commanded but I ignored him trying to remove his hand from my wrist.

"Just let me go.....give me your gun then", I said glaring at him.

"I'm coming with you then", Kai finally said.

Keeping his hold on my wrist, he grabbed his gun with his other hand. I stepped over the body of the zombie and  opened the door just an inch.

From what I could see it looked safe. I opened the door a bit more and stepped out. It was the same furniture store we were hiding in just a few hours ago.

I stepped out and walked around for a bit along with Kai who won't let me walk ahead of him.

"Second floor's not to high up, if we could find a window.....", I trailed off.

"Jumping off?", he asked and I nodded.

"Exactly the plan".

"You're crazy", he looked at me with a weird expression on his face, "We'll die".

"Let's just find a good window to jump from", I said walked off leaving Kai still deciding whether or not to go along with my plan.

I walked around for a bit until I found a window that was just above a street that leads to a convenience store.

Kai walked up behind me and peered over my shoulder.

"If we jump from here, we can spend the night at the convenience store", I told him and he nodded.

"Go get the others I'll make sure no zombies come to this store", he said.

I ran back to the fire exit staircase and was about to open the door when a zombie came stumbling from nowhere.

I grabbed the door knob and hurriedly tried opening it but it was stuck. I jiggled the door knob once again but I was surely stuck.

The zombie was about four feet away from me. I reached into the waistband of my pants for my knife, realizing I left it on the staircase.

I was against a zombie totally unarmed.

I grabbed whatever that was closest to me which turned out to be a flower vase sitting on bedside table on a bedroom display and threw it at the zombie.

It hit the zombie square on the stomach and the glass shattered as the zombie groaned.

But none of the glass actually cut the zombie so it could still attack me. I tried the door knob again but no luck.

Thankfully Kai, hearing the shattering glass showed up with his miracle gun in hand that always had plenty of bullets.

He aimed at the zombies head exactly as the zombie lunged at me. But the bullet hit the zombie midair right into its skull and it fell at my feet.

"Why didn't you just go down the stairs?", Kai asked and I could sense he was mad.

"The door, it won't open", I said pointing at the door.

Kai walked up to it and tried the door and sure enough it didn't open. Kai then banged his hand on the door and yelled.

"STEVEN! ANYBODY OPEN THE DOOR!".

Once he said that the door opened and Katie stood in front of us. I glanced at the body of the zombie that Kai killed before my childhood best friend. It was pushed aside away from the entrance.

"Why did you lock the damn door?", Kai asked Katie.

And she shurgged, "Steven's idea".

"Did you see the door knob moving?", I asked and she nodded and told us that they thought it was a zombie which made Kai mad at them for being so dumb.

We told them about our plan and we all went to find the window. Once we found it none  of us were actually ready to jump so we just looked at each other deciding on who should jump first.