Ch.3- The Meeting

As we approach Full Peak, enveloped in darkness and rugged wilderness, my mind begins to whir with endless unanswered questions. I turn to look at Cal, his concentrated expression as he trains his gaze on the ground before us.

"Why are you in The Howlers?" I ask, quietly, "and not any other pack?"

Cal looks at me, grinning with his sharp teeth, "The Howlers are a fairly new pack. Rainer Novak's been the leader since he and all the others were only preteens. Rainer has some crazy ideals- like we should be free, no matter who we are. We should be allowed to be strong, and run riot when we want."

"I chose The Howlers because I didn't want to run anymore," he shrugs, "I wanted to be the best man I could be."

Well, that didn't work out for you, did it? I think spitefully.

"Rainer's the first guy who's ever wanted to be free?" I speculate, "I doubt that."

"Well, he's following in the footsteps of the Oleander Collective," he says, nonchalantly, "his dad's pack. ...But hey, don't let me say anything more, baby. You're not even initiated yet."

"Initiated?" I gasp, "Cal, I swear to God-"

"It's fine! Baby, don't worry. Rainer chooses each wolf's initiation based on what he sees in them. And in you, he'll see nothing but good things," he smirks, and I turn away, repulsed.

Suddenly, I see a cragged cliff face in front of us, towering up towards the inky sky. I swallow, and before I can react, Cal has leapt up the cragged rocks at superhuman speed, moving wildly like a dog chasing a stick. As he reaches halfway, he turns to me, hanging from one foot grip and his fingertips. Against the moonlit sky, he almost doesn't look human at all, "well, are you coming, honey?"

I glare at him, hoping that my hatred will pierce through him and make him stop calling me pet names, but instead he just turns back to the cliff and continues to leap from crag to crag. I swallow, and then I grab the surface with my hand.

As soon as I think of what I need to do, moonlight shines through me, pushing my body upwards. My blood rushes, and suddenly I am scaling the cliff face with no thoughts of the danger lying below, the horrifying drop. Instead I am looking forever upwards, running to the moon as though it is my only purpose in life. I clamber up the side of the cliff, ignoring the dull pain as my fingertips dig into the dull rocks. I hear Cal's laugh, and, scowling, I bound to catch up.

The higher I get, the more I can hear it- people. Or, animals. The sound is like a strange hybrid of both, laughing, lilting voices laced with the undertones of growling, something inhuman and sinister. It gets louder and louder the further I go, and soon, I am scrambling on the cliff edge, pulling my body onto Full Peak.

The cliff top stretches out in a sea of grassland, and my eyes adjust to the sight. There is a mob of people- but they barely look like people. They are scampering, animalistic, their heads forever tilting towards the sky, their jagged teeth glinting in the moonlight. A group is jostling with each other, howling louder than the other, their fingernails sharp. I swallow, fear jolting through me.

These people look like monsters.

The wind is blowing mercilessly, and lashings of cold air beat mercilessly down on the people who yowl and chase each other in the cold wind, yapping like eager puppies. I stand, breathless, all words lost on me. In the eerie darkness of this beautiful night, these strangers are dancing, primal in their true nature, preparing to turn under the light of the moon.

"This is my tribe," Cal spreads his arms wide, stepping backwards and signalling my attention to the people surrounding us. His eyes are gleaming with anticipation, his sharp teeth bared and grinning. Despite having known him in the light of day, there is something strangely unsettling about him under the moon, something in those darkened eyes which screams a desperate warning.