Chapter 2: Voyage a Paris

FRA

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for choosing to fly with us. We hope to see you soon! We arrived in Paris at 5 pm, the weather will remain sunny throughout the day and the temperature is around 20°C. Adieu!"

I turn on the phone and I am greeted by the words "Welcome to France"

* Sigh. *

I quickly stand up.

I don't want to get stuck in the long line!

I take my backpack out of the trunk and as soon as the plane doors open I sprint towards my destination: baggage claim.

* Pant, Pant. *

As usual I forgot to put an identification mark on my suitcase, so if I don't hurry there is a 50% chance that my luggage will be taken by a 70 year old lady who has come to Paris to visit her daughter who has never come to visit her in Rome since she got married!

Ok, maybe this scenario is a bit too detailed and improbable, but it's always better not to risk it.

As I arrive at the conveyor belt, I notice that the first suitcase to appear is mine.

BINGO!

I take it and go towards the Taxi area.

I stick out my left arm from the sidewalk to stop the Taxi which is now slowing in my direction.

"TAXI!"

The car comes to a complete stop in front of me and the light on the Taxi sign turns green.

A rather short lady gets out of the car, she will be about 40 years old, her blond hair is gathered in a ponytail and her big blue eyes greet me cheerfully.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle, où est-ce que je le prends?"

She lets me load the suitcase into the trunk and I go in and sit down in the passenger seat next to her.

"A l'hôtel Rose Rouge s'il vous plaît"

The lady starts the engine and drives off.

"Oh, it's a beautiful hotel! Too bad only for the place where it is located"

I give her a curious look.

"Why?"

"It's pratically beside the Opera Populaire... a really beautiful building, it's a shame that it has fallen into disrepair."

"That place is very famous, how come they don't get it back on its feet?"

"Despite being mentioned in many moovies, the municipality doesn't want that place either. There aren't even video cameras! No one wants to bring back old spirits..."

My gaze moves from the road to the driver.

"You mean that famous novel by Gaston Leroux? I'm not sure what it talks about, but I find it ridiculous that such a beautiful place should be abandoned just because of a made-up story."

"Oh mademoiselle, you know what they say: every story contains a bit of truth. However, if you are interested I can tell you that it is the story of unrequited love between a disfigured man, or murderer, or musical genius, in short, Erik Destler and the young soprano Christine Daae. In the end the love that triumphed was between Christine and the Vicomte de Chagny. It is not known what happened to any of the 3, what is certain is that, although Erik has always been hated and marginalized because of his deformed face, the love between him and Christine could have not worked, it would have been immoral since, after all, Erik killed a lot of people, some even just for fun."