02: Old town road

02- old town road

Our first day at our new school. In our new city. It's march for god's sake. In middle of the fucking semester. Just my luck. As if being the chief of police's daughters – who happen to be identical twins – wasn't annoying enough. I wonder how many pairs of eyes I'm going to tolerate before I start cutting a bitch up. Bela says I need to calm down and stop being so angry at everything all the time. I suggest that she can go shove her cactus up her ass, since I think it's normal for a teenager to have emotions. Unlike her unfortunate dead fish face.

We sat in the car in utter comfortable silence. She drove the old red truck gifted to her by dad and I sat in the back laying down and looking at the sky while she drove.

I didn't like driving, not at all. I found it stressful and annoying. Cars are all to confined for me, I hate the feeling of being trapped in a small box with no way to feel the wind and if I were to use any means of transportation, I would prefer motorcycles so I can still feal the fresh air in my hair, but try telling that to Charlie. I told him I would walk to school, get the lay of the land and navigate the city myself but he wouldn't have it. A worried father as always. So, in the last minute, he grabbed me by my hoodie and made me ride next to Bella. I at least managed to bargain a seat at the back.

I watched the clouds pass and the occasional view of trees. Listening to the growls of the old engine and as it all came into a stop; I heard my twin tap the window.

We had arrived.

I sit up to look around the school, watch as the mindless crowd of teenagers walk about with youthful joy in their eyes. I can't wait to see the look of despair once they realize this school didn't prepare them for paying taxes or bank work. The school buildings are grey and lifeless as is the education system.

"Great start." I speak. "A soul sucking school for a soul sucking city in a soul sucking country with a... "

She wasn't listening. She already walked past the car and head towards the main office building. "Rude." I say once I fell into steps besides her.

"We can't have this conversation again Anna." She said. She used my voice with a gentleness I never used. "It's not that bad."

"It's not." I admit. "Just soul sucking."

"But you're fine because you don't have any soul." She played in to my joke.

"Yes. Thank you. I'm fine. I just worry for the other kids."

"How kind and considerate of you." She gave that awkward tilted smile of hers and I smile in turn. My twin is very cute when she wants to be. I mentally prepare myself for the time when all the boys would want to ask her to the prom and I would have to swat them off with a broom. It's hard work having Bella as a sister. We continue to walk in silence as she leads the way. We have long established that whenever there is a need for navigation, I should be left out of it. My sense of direction is worse than a dead goldfish. I still have to look at my hands to figure out where is left or right.

We weren't that far away from the entrance when we were ambushed and surrounded by a group of teens. Possible peers. Not reassuring at all.

The first wave of attack by the alien race of highschoolers came in the form of a nerdy Asian kid with a button down and a smile too big. "You're Isabella and Annabella Swan. The new girls. Wow you two are really twins. Wow. Identical. Jesus. Hi, I'm Eric the eyes and ears of this place." Jesus, he talks a lot and fast not to mention in one breath. "Anything you need? Tour guide? Lunch date? Shoulder to cry on?"

Seriously what the fuck? None of those are normal things to say to a person you meet for the first time.
"I'm more of the suffer in silence type." Bella awkwardly says with a weak smile.