Bleached Away

"Apologies, Mr. Kurosaki, but I'm afraid his delusions are worsening."

There came a sigh, one of frustration. The man shook his head while leaning back. "I know and understand patient confidentiality, but can you tell me, as his parent, how far out of reality he's gone?"

"Well, it's complicated," the psychologist said. "It's complicated by the fact he's dealing with not only his twin's death but his mother's as well."

Isshin sighed. "You mean not having one, as she died in childbirth."

"Well, in his world, his twin's death has become his mother's. Sort of," the other person said. "I mean, he's still deluded that it was a monster and not a car, with him insisting in his recollections of walking on the side next to the street to protect her from getting hit by the puddles of water as a car goes by." Then came the sigh. "And you know I'm telling you this so that when you go in, you're prepared for the worst."

"I'm already prepared for the worst."

"Well, his twin is now someone else entirely. A bunch of different people. This Shinigami died horribly, his Zampaktuo spirit. And the concept of twins—that has shifted to two younger sisters that don't exist. Because he still wants siblings. It doesn't help that it is a complicated delusion," the psychologist said. "And we've had to separate him from another one of the patients."

"Oh?"

"Well, she was playing along with him. Kuchiki Rukia is always off in her world with the rabbits. We thought it innocent enough, them arguing about the rabbits, but she now thinks it is also real. He thinks one of the orderlies, Chad, is in high school with him. Oh! His cousin visits. However, he doesn't seem to recognize Uryu as his cousin. He tries not to play along, but sometimes it's just easier to do so."

"I see."

"And I don't think one of our other patients, Inoue Orihime helps. Have you considered transferring facilities?"

"Ichigo," Isshin sighed. "He's angry enough at me as it is, but if it is best—I'll think about it."