CHAPTER 8! just for a second, she saw anthony the way she saw kenny

REFLECTIONS ★﹚

KENNY WIPED HIS EYES!

cherry really did try to be comforting, but she just couldn't manage it anymore. nothing about her was the same, and she had almost gagged at the thought of having to be nice to someone else.

"are you okay?" cherry's voice was slow, doing her best not to sound judgmental.

"i'm fine." kenny brushed her off.

the girl scoffed, her eyes scanning his expression that was now serious. before either of them could start an argument, someone entered the locker room. someone who would definitely cause one.

cherry looked up, her bad mood dampening further.
"anthony, what the fuck are you doing in here?"

anthony shoved his hands into his pockets, glancing between both her and kenny. "i just wanted to say that i saw your matches. kenny, i saw robby compete last year. he's, uh, you know... he's one of the best."

cherry couldn't help but roll her eyes. she knew exactly what anthony was doing, he was trying to apologize. what kind of fucking apology could he give, that would make anything better?

was he stupid? what the fuck had given him the idea that he needed to do that, or that it'd change anything?

"what do you want?" kenny matched the expression his friend wore.

"um, i guess i just wanted to say that i'm sorry, okay? for all the- for all the shit i did. y-you know, it wasn't cool. and i guess i was just trying-" anthony rambled on excuses.

kenny was quick to cut him off, standing up from his seat. "-to impress your friends by picking on the new kid who didn't have any."

"yeah. yeah, okay, i'm sorry. i can imagine what it must have felt like."

"oh, you can imagine? okay, go ahead."

"uh.."

"go ahead and tell me how it felt."

"well, like, not, uh, great?"

"then you wouldn't know. because no one's ever been such a piece of shit to you! well, maybe it's time you found out."

cherry's eyes widened as she watched kenny slam his fist into anthony's face, betraying her serious expression. kenny slammed the boy into the wall, his voice reaching a shout. "how does that feel, lapusso? not great? man, get up, get up!"

any trace of amusement or even irritation in the red haired girls expression ceased each time the black haired boy was hit.

she knew she wasn't in a position to judge, or even one to shame kenny for trying to get revenge on the kid that'd tormented him, but, just for a second, she saw anthony the way she saw kenny.