Chapter 2

Ava

It was a beautiful morning. I had my coffee in one hand and a book in the other. The sun came in through the skylight at just the right angle to drown me in warmth. I smiled and enjoyed the silence.

It didn't last long.

The door slammed open and the blonde bitch walked in. "Good morning."

"You're quite cheery. Did you smoke some weed before you got here?"

"Haha, very funny." She shook her head. "Anyway, I think we got off on the wrong foot yesterday and we should try to start over." She walked toward me and stuck her hand out. "I'm Lux, nice to meet you."

I stared at her. "What the fuck?"

"We're reintroducing ourselves. Just pretend I got amnesia."

"Okay..." I took her hand; it was soft. "I'm Ava, it's nice to meet you too, even though I met you yesterday."

She smiled, something she seemed to do a lot. Maybe she did it to cover up the fact that she was a self-centered cunt.

"Good, now that we're on better terms, let's get to work."

"You do realize that I'm the one working and you're the one sitting in a chair for forty five minutes, right?" I said.

"Yeah, but I'm the one that's going to be doing the harder work afterward."

And there she was. "Right."

"Well I'm the one making hundreds of thousands of dollars and you're making like, what, about twelve dollars an hour?"

I stood up, walked over to the closet, and handed Lux her outfit. She took it and escaped to the bathroom. When she came out a few minutes later, I stayed seated on the couch, reading my book and sipping my decreasingly hot coffee.

She sat in the wheely chair and waited for me. "Um, hello? You're supposed to be doing my hair right now."

I glanced up at her. "But it's such an easy job, isn't it? I mean I only make like, what, twelve dollars an hour? I'm sure you, being your amazing self, could effortlessly do it yourself."

She visibly tensed up. "Fuck, I'm sorry. I was being arrogant, I didn't mean to be rude."

I was quite surprised that she'd had the decency to apologize; it impressed me. "Get on your knees."

"What?"

"Did I stutter? I said get on you knees."

Her brows furrowed. "Why?"

"If you don't want to show up to your first scene without your makeup done, I'd suggest you don't ask questions."

She sighed and melted off the chair, finding a place on her knees like I'd asked. "Now beg me to do my job."

She hesitated, probably contemplating whether doing this movie was worth the five seconds of embarrassment. "Could you please, please, do your job?"

"I'm sorry," I said, cupping my ear in her direction, "I didn't quite hear you."

She rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm really sorry.  I didn't mean to say what I said. Can we please try to move past all of this stuff?"

"Isn't that what you said when you walked through the door earlier?"

She cursed at herself. "Yeah, and I messed up again. I'm sorry."

I thought that to be enough embarrassment for one day. "Why are you one the floor? Your jeans are gonna get dirty and the wardrobe department will be furious."