Chapter Eleven

Saturday, 12th November

The months of Autumn had passed in a blur. 

Quidditch training, classes, tutoring with Malfoy, homework, assignments, repeat.

The remnants of summer had too quickly slipped from their fingers, leaving the world darker, colder. The last leaves had fallen from the great trees decorating the Hogwarts grounds, the sun melting the bitter morning frost later than usual; before retreating from its place in the sky in favour of the moon too quickly in the afternoon. 

Eleanor loved the winter- Rose loathed it. 

"But it's so much cosier, don't you think? And nowhere does cosy better than Hogwarts." She had said cheerfully, on their way to Charms one particularly freezing October day.

"Come back to me when you have quidditch practice three times a week before the sun has risen." She retorted. 

They were swamped with work, and the pressure was on immensely in Defence Against the Dark Arts: which in a cruel twist of fate, Hermione Granger-Weasley was now teaching.

"MUM!?" She gasped, almost knocked off her feet in shock. 

"But- how!? You run the bloody Ministry of Magic for pete's sake!"

"Professor Weasley in class if you would, Rosie. And I have my ways." Her mum smiled cheekily, something gold glinting from beneath her cloak. The rest of her classmates were in as much shock as her-- the fact that the Ministress for Magic was leading their class was almost unfathomable. 

But soon enough, no one could get enough of her. She explained everything so perfectly, so beautifully, that not one student was left in the dark. 

"Exactly like this everyone, you see? Do not overlook the importance of determination, when it comes to nonverbal spells; you must feel the magic flow through your veins, and pour all of it into casting the desired spell."

Scorpius was the first to produce a corporeal Patronus, as they edged into November. There were shouts of wonder, as they stared in awe at the magnificent creature. 

"A fucking falcon." Rose could not believe it. Of course, he got one of the most majestic creatures possible.

"Why couldn't he have gotten a bloody field mouse or something?"

Eleanor snorted.

"Beautifully done, Scorpius! Twenty points to Slytherin! The falcon patronus is known to have a 'dark' nature, that they wilfully reject; breaking free from what has been bestowed upon them. They choose the light. Well done." Hermione gave him a knowing smile as his cheeks heated up. 

Hermione couldn't help but give the class an explanation about their patronus, which very much aligned with her nature, Rose thought.

Rose was still yet to produce more than a wisp of smoke, and it was driving her mad. Eleanor was much closer, and if Rose was honest with herself, so were most of the students. 

But Rose couldn't dwell on it now. 

She had a match to win.

The air was brisk that day; biting their cheeks and kissing their noses. They shivered, huddled together in the changerooms for their prematch speech.

"Right! I have every confidence that we will thrash Gryffindor, but I want to go over every single drill before we get out there."

"Is that absolutely necessary Dean? You know we're going to wipe the pitch with their smug little faces." Eileen nudged Gordon as she spoke, who answered with his own shit-eating grin.