THE END OF EXPECTATIONS

A salty smell

A salty smell. A damp thatch on his back. The deafening sound of waves are much clearer now.
He opened his heavy eyes, squinting to his surroundings. This is indeed not the forest. Shells by the enterance. Waves in the distance. His body jolts straight as his memories returned simultaneously. Where is Quaritch? Where is Tefiti?
He pulls down the sheets on top of him to his chest, his bones creaking from the sudden movement. A deep cavity and a deep purple scar. But he was shot. How is he almost unscathed?
He assessed his surroundings properly now, squinting to the other side of the pod. This isn't the family pod; but the infirmary, where he had watched Tefiti mend the broken. It was empty but for an elderly woman who basically lived there, facing the wall. He glanced out of the pod into the sky. A beaming hot, cloudless sky. How many days had passed since the incident?

The sound of arguing made his ears prick up, a male and female voice. Hushed and quiet, yet as loud as can be. To Neteyam's surprise, one of the village boys from the party stormed past the pod to the right, away from the porch over the water.
With all his power the boy stood up wobbly on two feet, cracking and creaking. A pang of worry hit him as he realised how relaxed his whole body was. Had he been in a coma?
Wobbling to the frame of the pod, he messily swung his head around the corner, his messy outgrown braids dangling in his face. A girl with tight curls bobbing down her waist and a purple lei rested on the porch. This could be only one person.
"Tefiti."

She spun on her heels, her eyes wide and already teary. She let out a squeak, throwing herself into his arms with heavy sobs. Her hands gripped him with such force Neteyam staggered, stroking her black curls. They stood a while, tottering back and forth in each other's arms. She kissed his face over and over, stroking his own hair. He was giddy with happiness from the girl clinging on to him, yet completely numb to what was happening. "Oh, Neteyam. It's been unbearable without you."
"Why? What happened? How long have I been gone? What's happening over there?" He rested on the doorframe, feeling slightly faint from the sudden movement. Tefiti subconsciously checked his temperature and babied him as she spoke.

"When you were shot, I found some things to fix you up but all that psychoactive plants put you in a coma. After a month my parents gave me a warning. 'If he doesn't wake up in one more month, you'll be betrothed to the neighbouring clan's son' they said." She sniffed. "And tomorrow's the wedding, so now they can't come. You're awake, you're awake." She pressed her lips into his. His arms held her head gently and he stroked her lips as she pulled away. "You're getting sent away?" His eyes widened as she shook her head, holding his hands to her face. "No, we have to tell Tsahik. Ronal is organising the entire thing." She glanced down at her decorated figure. Neteyam's eyes followed. Purple lei. Low waisted skirt of shining shells and seaweed. Two shells for her chest. He ran his finger down the body of the shell necklace on her chest. "You look beautiful."

She laughed, holding back another flow of water works. "I put you in a three month coma and you're calling me beautiful." He nodded as she rolled her eyes. "Come on."

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+—+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Six months later

Tribal skirts, tribal headpieces, tribal hairstyles. Tefiti was head to toe in Tsahik wedding attire, the most beautiful materials of the reefs. Tattoos climbed down her forehead to her chin, down her neck to her chest and disappeared down her stomach. White paint was slathered on her face and body in tribal wedding print. Her hair was heavy from thick braids, shells, and coloured seaweed. An assortment of siblings back from their adventures, her parents and some random friends filled the room with excited chatter as they guided her to the entrance of the pod.
"What if he runs away like i did to Aonung?" She hit her lip as Tsireya brushed a stray strand of seaweed out of her face. "Trust me, he won't. Lo'ak is always telling me how much he talks about you." Tefiti wriggled her eyebrows. "Is that so?" Tsireya squeaked, gently pushing her out of the pod. "G-good luck!"
Tefiti sighed, shaking her hair out of her face and sliding some excessive jewellery off of her wrists when the others weren't watching. There's nothing to be worried about.

Stepping out of the pod was a roar of cheer. The sound of music sprang to life as the tribe paraded down the aisle, flowers littering the sky. People reached out to touch her, the sound of prayers and blessings making her shiver. Others patted her on the back and called for Neteyam, who soon enough came in sight at the back of Ronal and Tonowari's pod. He was dressed similarly, his white paint highlighting his abs and chest and golden eyes. He too, had gotten his tattoos and become an adult in the last months, which made Tefiti's heart ache with pride and nervousness. As she neared closer, his arms snaked out towards her, the village whooping and yelling. "You look ethereal." Tefiti giggled, whispering into his ear. "ethereal is very specific."
"And true." Ronal separated the two, both grinning at eachother stupidly. She cleared her throat, relaxing the crowd.

"We are here today for the Tsakaresem, Tefiti te Oshawa Ma'ri'Ite. And Toruk Makto's eldest son, Neteyam te Suli Tsyeyk'itan. Let us begin."
It was silent in the tent as the couple both began the ritual; reciting vows. Drinking the water of Eywa. Other things, but both, Neteyam specifically, were distracted. He glanced down at her lips as she drank the holy water. Her eyes as she batted her eyelashes to Ronal as she said her vows. Ronal glanced between the two, staring up at the crowd.
"And now, the two are betrothed to eachother."

The deafening cheering, music, blessings, and she shower of flowers drew the couple together like magnets as Neteyam messily kissed the girl, his lips travelling down her chin as she laughed, holding him close. She ran her fingers over the black paint, around his eyes, down his neck. "God, it feels like I met you yesterday, when you fell off your ilu and got mad about it." He licked his lips, hiding his blush. "And you hated me." She tilted her head at him, shaking her head. Petals tumbled all around her and the sound of Tulkun singing filled her ears.

"Oh Neteyam. How could I ever hate you?"

-+ END +-

I really hope you guys enjoyed this book. 10k reads is absaloutely crazy, thank you so much for your comments and likes. It took me forever to finish and I'm sorry, but I really loved this book and didn't want to end it. Thank you so much for reading <3

- IDOYA

- IDOYA ☆