Catherine

Catherine had been taken into families before but never to act as a kid. To be adopted as a daughter. She couldn't believe her ears when the Matron told her that a certain Mr. And Mrs. Faeheart had sent word that they wanted a little girl to cherish as their own. It seemed that the couple had tried to have children but found themselves unable to carry a child. They passed a time of sorrow and decided that they could do as much good to an orphan girl as a girl may do to them.

Cathy stood frozen, unable to utter words.

"Well, for a child that can never run off words, you seem out of them." The woman in front of her snapped.

"I cannot think why the Faehearts would want a girl like me." Cathy managed to mutter. "Anne Shirley is so much more lively and has so much more to offer!" She went on. The thought of parting from her long-life friend seemed unjust to her. Anne, the lively little creature that had fed lovely dreams of families into her, this was her big dream.

"Ah, yes. Anne Shirley, she is still under the care of Mrs. Thomas, and I am afraid it will stay that way for a few more months." She took a long sip from her tea. Of course, she had forgotten. Anne had never lasted so long in a family that she must be happy. Cathy wished she was. "But if you'd prefer to stay, I can look for another -" 

"No!" She replied hurriedly. The matron nodded and sent the girl out. She left the office and went to fetch her things with a certain excitement and yet indistinguishable sorrow.

Hurriedly, she packed her bag; it took her little time as she had few possessions and quick, eager hands. Soon enough, the little girl exited the room and began to walk away. She sat by The Matron's office, waiting for the guard that would escort her away to the train station.

Just as she began to stand up, the office door opened slowly, revealing a flaming redhead with tear stains. They locked eyes.

"Anne?" Cathy went to reach for her but couldn't. She was being held by the officer. "Anne!" Cathy cried and flung her arms, trying to catch her friend and drag her along with her.

"Cathy?" The redheaded girl seemed in a trance, unable to connect the dots. Then it hit her. Anne's eyes began to water again. Oh, how many misfortunes could one cope with in just the spawn of a day? "Cathy, don't go!" 

"Anne!" Catherine's face was red and wet with her tears. The officer pulled her away, forcing her through the hallways and through the entrance door. "Anne, I'll come for you!" Cathy scram. Anne shrugged and fought under Matron's grasp.

"Cathy!" 

"I'll bring you home!" Where the last cries, Anne heard from Catherine.

Cathy sat numbly on the carriage, being swayed from side to side every so often. The officer handed her over to a young, blonde woman.

"Child? Why ever do you look so miserable?" The woman asked her once they were seated on the train. "Aren't you happy and grateful for having been adopted?" Catherine met her gaze. 

"I'm sorry, but I can not express my joy in the time of mourning." The woman seemed to grow pale.

"Whatever, do you mean?" 

"I mean that the depths of despair have outgrown the sentiment of any joy I could have felt." They stared at each other for some time. "Can you be happy when you're in the depths of despair?" Cathy inquired while returning to gaze out the window.

"I cannot say I've ever been in the depths of despair." The woman replied.

"I am sorry, ma'am." Cathy went on. "But I have been forcefully parted from the only family I had left, for which I shall always recall this day as a sorrowful one." She concluded.